Virtual launch event – Foundations of Socio-Environmental Research – Friday, April 21, 2:30-3:45pm (EDT)

Bill Burnside

Apr 13, 2023, 6:05:40 PM4/13/23
to EESG - Energy and Environment Specialty Group

Dear Colleagues-

You are warmly invited to join us for the virtual launch of our new book, Foundations of Socio-Environmental Research, on Friday, April 21, 11:30-12:45pm (PDT) / 2:30-3:45pm (EDT)

The book provides an informed history of socio-environmental research through legacy readings and expert commentaries.  The legacy readings are linked to current approaches, offering students and scholars a landscape view of SE research, past and present.  Our launch event will feature the expert contributing authors, who will join us for flash talks about their chapters. The team of editors will share short vignettes about the origins of the book, some of our favorite legacy readings, and how we use it in our research and teaching.

Event Schedule

2:30       Introductions (Bill Burnside and Simone Pulver)

2:40       Part 1 – Richard York, University of Oregon

2:45       Part 2 – Emilio Moran, Michigan State University

2:50       Part 3 – Richard Norgaard, University of California at Berkeley

2:55       Part 4 – Patricia Balvanera, National Autonomous University of Mexico

3:00       Part 5 – J. Baird Callicott, University of North Texas

3:05       Part 6 – Marina Fischer-Kowalski, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna

3:10       Reading vignettes (Steve Alexander, Bill Burnside, Meghan Avolio)

3:20       SE Foundations – Research Applications (Katie Fiorella)

3:25       SE Foundations – Teaching Applications (Meghan Avolio)

3:30       Q&A

The event will be hosted as a zoom webinar.  Please use this link to join https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/88581388655

Let us know if you have any questions, and we look forward to your participation.

Sincerely,

The Editorial Team

Foundations of Socio-Environmental Research: Legacy readings with commentaries

Edited by: William R. Burnside, Simone Pulver, Kathryn J. Fiorella, Meghan L. Avolio, and Steven M. Alexander

Contributors: Richard York, Emilio F. Moran, Richard B. Norgaard, Patricia Balvanera, J. Baird Callicott, and Marina Fischer-Kowalski

Cambridge University Press, 2023