accessibilityFeature none

Matt Garrish

Mar 1, 2014, 10:14:21 AM3/1/14
to a11y-metad...@googlegroups.com
One question that’s been raised in the edupub work, where we’re looking at integrating the metadata, is how to make a statement either that no accessibility features are included, or that the publisher wants to explicitly disclaim that, while some may be present, they are not making any claims about the suitability of the content (whether for legal reasons or otherwise).

Omitting the property might indicate no accessibility feature, but it might also mean that the book was not checked.

In that light, should we have (or tacitly allow) none/notVerified values for this purpose?

Part of the rationale for such values is also that it would allow us to require accessibilityFeaure appear in all edupub-compliant epubs, as they address the implied cases of no properties being set.

I’m not sure where I stand on this yet, so thoughts welcome.

Matt

Gerardo Capiel

Mar 1, 2014, 10:19:59 AM3/1/14
to Matt Garrish, <a11y-metadata-project@googlegroups.com>
Yeah, this is similar to the alt=''.  Did they forget to put a value or are they saying it's not needed?  So, I think similar to how a role property with a value was created.  I think it makes sense to use the existing accessibilityFeature property with a value of none.  We should decided quickly as some publishers will soon be inputing properties into the Learning Registry and I want to provide an updated best practices guide.

Gerardo

Gerardo Capiel
VP of Engineering
benetech

650-644-3405 - Twitter: @gcapiel - GPG: 0x859F11C4
Fork, Code, Do Social Good: http://benetech.github.com/

On Mar 1, 2014, at 7:14 AM, Matt Garrish <matt.g...@bell.net>

Matt Garrish

Mar 1, 2014, 10:26:36 AM3/1/14
to Gerardo Capiel, a11y-metad...@googlegroups.com
Right, and maybe we only need "none". The cases -- knowing your content is
inaccessible, not checking, or not wanting to say -- all boil down to saying
no features are known to be present.

I don't see how you could get in trouble for your content being more
accessible than you've indicated, at any rate.

Matt

650-644-3405 - Twitter: @gcapiel<http://twitter.com/gcapiel> - GPG:

<matt.g...@bell.net<mailto:matt.g...@bell.net>>
wrote:

[...]

Madeleine Rothberg

Mar 1, 2014, 6:29:48 PM3/1/14
to Matt Garrish, Gerardo Capiel, a11y-metad...@googlegroups.com
I agree that an approach parallel to alt="" makes sense. I hope publishers
won't fill in "none" if they could point out a positive feature --
structured navigation at the least! But I like that it makes it
technically possible to make the property mandatory, if that is
politically likely.

-Madeleine
>oject+un...@googlegroups.com>.
>To post to this group, send email to
>a11y-metad...@googlegroups.com<mailto:a11y-metadata-project@google

Gerardo Capiel

Mar 4, 2014, 1:57:31 PM3/4/14
to Matt Garrish, a11y-metad...@googlegroups.com, Madeleine Rothberg
Matt,

Unless someone disagrees within the next 48 hours, I'd like to propose that we move forward on the "none" and "describedMath" values for accessibilityFeature.

With regards to describedMath, I recently learned from another provider of accessibility services and tools to publishers that some publishers are already producing content/eBooks with plain text alt descriptions of mathematical images due to the lack of MathML support in reading systems.  For publishers that also embed the source MathML or a link to the source MathML, they can include both "MathML" and "describedMath" accessibilityFeature values.

Thank You,

Gerardo

Gerardo Capiel
VP of Engineering
benetech

650-644-3405 - Twitter: @gcapiel - GPG: 0x859F11C4
Fork, Code, Do Social Good: http://benetech.github.com/

On Mar 1, 2014, at 3:29 PM, Madeleine Rothberg <madeleine...@wgbh.org>

Matt Garrish

Mar 12, 2014, 3:11:08 PM3/12/14
to Gerardo Capiel, a11y-metad...@googlegroups.com, Madeleine Rothberg
Catching back up on email, as no one has objected and we're well past the
review period, the new values have been added to the a11y site and the w3
wiki.

Now on to proposing to edupub folks that we require accessibilityFeature...

<madeleine...@wgbh.org<mailto:madeleine...@wgbh.org>>
wrote:

I agree that an approach parallel to alt="" makes sense. I hope publishers
won't fill in "none" if they could point out a positive feature --
structured navigation at the least! But I like that it makes it
technically possible to make the property mandatory, if that is
politically likely.

-Madeleine

On 3/1/14 10:26 AM, "Matt Garrish"
<matt.g...@bell.net<mailto:matt.g...@bell.net><mailto:matt.garrish@bel