timing as input control?

Matt Garrish

Dec 13, 2013, 5:37:42 PM12/13/13
to a11y-metad...@googlegroups.com
I noticed the addition of the value “timing” to the accessibilityControl property, but shouldn’t this be an accessibilityFeature called “timingControl”?

The “control” in accessibilityControl is about input methods, so timing doesn’t seem appropriate. Or is my equating this value with control over timed interfaces off base?

Matt

Matt Garrish

Dec 13, 2013, 11:34:30 PM12/13/13
to a11y-metad...@googlegroups.com
Or maybe a definition of the property changed along the way and was not reflected on the site?

I’d been assuming audio=voice, but seeing video in the list did the property move beyond input methods to level of control over content objects? Again, the latter category strikes me more as features. One can have full control over audio and video content only through some input control method, so there’s a disharmony in expressing them from the same property.

And apologies if I’m being deliberately obtuse about the value meanings, but I’m trying to approach them from the perspective of someone coming to the properties with no background.

Matt

Anastasia Cheetham

Dec 16, 2013, 10:30:55 AM12/16/13
to Matt Garrish, a11y-metad...@googlegroups.com
Matt Garrish wrote:

I noticed the addition of the value “timing” to the accessibilityControl property, but shouldn’t this be an accessibilityFeature called “timingControl”?
The “control” in accessibilityControl is about input methods, so timing doesn’t seem appropriate. Or is my equating this value with control over timed interfaces off base?

and

Or maybe a definition of the property changed along the way and was not reflected on the site?
I’d been assuming audio=voice, but seeing video in the list did the property move beyond input methods to level of control over content objects?...
And apologies if I’m being deliberately obtuse about the value meanings...

Matt, I don't think you're being obtuse: You're right, it doesn't make sense.

I'm not sure when "fullVideoControl" and "timing" made it into the vocabulary list for this - maybe I missed that discussion? If anyone on this mailing list can fill us in on why those values are there, please do.

The definition of the "accessibilityControl" property is: "Identifies one or more input methods that allow access to all of the application functionality." Keyboard, mouse, touch, audio (i.e. voice) all seem to me to be valid input  methods, but "video" and "timing" don't seem to fall into that category.

--
Anastasia Cheetham                    a...@anastasiacheetham.ca
Inclusive Design Research Centre              OCAD University

Liddy Nevile

Jan 12, 2014, 9:27:26 PM1/12/14
to Anastasia Cheetham, Matt Garrish, a11y-metad...@googlegroups.com
I agree that they don't fit......

Liddy

Liddy Nevile

Jan 12, 2014, 9:28:45 PM1/12/14
to Anastasia Cheetham, Matt Garrish, a11y-metad...@googlegroups.com
actually, I don't agree!!! For example, kids working with Scratch can
now use the computer's camera to control the action - so video is a
controlling method - and now I remember that's why it is there -

for timing, I am not sure...

Liddy

Gerardo Capiel

Jan 14, 2014, 11:43:35 AM1/14/14
to Liddy Nevile, Anastasia Cheetham, Matt Garrish, a11y-metad...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that is an example of the use case fullVideoControl was meant to address.

Gerardo Capiel
VP of Engineering
Benetech