Proposal - Rule 3 - Edit

Tux

May 18, 2012, 9:30:03 AM5/18/12
to a-simpl...@googlegroups.com
3: All Active players must agree to all changes to existing rules, the addition of new rules and the removal of existing rules. A player may vote on a rule proposal by replying to the proposal.  A valid vote is a single reply containing only one of the following words,   Yes, No, Abstain, Defer.  A message containing anything other than a single word as defined in this rule is not a valid vote.  A vote of Yes is an agreement to accept the proposal as proposed. A vote of No is a vote against accepting the proposal. A vote of Abstain is neither against or for the proposal. A vote of defer, defers to the majority.
Message has been deleted

locksmyth

May 18, 2012, 12:43:13 PM5/18/12
to a-simpl...@googlegroups.com
Does this then remove the potential for discussion of proposals? Also as all active players must agree to a change then isn't abstain the same as no?

rockallnight

May 18, 2012, 12:53:04 PM5/18/12
to a-simpl...@googlegroups.com
I read it like if you abstain you do not cast a vote, therefore it could still be unanimous without them.  I thought the defer could come out since that would just be an auto vote to the majority and wouldn't change the outcome.  Plus since we're not doing majorities, it doesn't really make sense as things stand now.

Serengaeth

May 18, 2012, 1:06:36 PM5/18/12
to a-simpl...@googlegroups.com
I agree; as it stands it seems that all we need it yes/no. I suppose defer could be considered useful, so people can say "I go along with this, as long as everyone else is cool with it" but seeing as that's effectively just a "yes" we can stick to just having a yes/no.

I do like the idea of standardising the acceptable yes/no votes!

Tux

May 18, 2012, 1:08:16 PM5/18/12
to a-simpl...@googlegroups.com
But having a  Defer, allows us to move along a vote, even if we don't have a particular perference....where as only have Yes/No forces one who doesn't have a preference to chose one.

CandyManCan

May 18, 2012, 1:26:57 PM5/18/12
to a-simpl...@googlegroups.com
Vote No; too complex for this game, Yes/No is fine, no need for such complexities as Abstain or Defer.

Serengaeth

May 18, 2012, 1:27:39 PM5/18/12
to a-simpl...@googlegroups.com
Okay, in that case I suggest the amendment of the following:

3: All Active players must agree to all changes to existing rules, the addition of new rules and the removal of existing rules.

as well as the addition of the following:

3.1: A valid vote on a proposal is a direct reply to the proposal with one of the following words; Yes, No, Defer. Any other content to the reply invalidates the vote.
3.2: A vote of Yes is a vote in favour. A vote of No is a vote against. A vote of Defer is a vote to defer to the majority of all other Active Players.

Tux

May 18, 2012, 1:37:26 PM5/18/12
to a-simpl...@googlegroups.com
Which again puts us in what feels to me  an unatural position, what are people voting on? Your proposal or the intial proposal. hrm?!.

Serengaeth

May 18, 2012, 1:40:11 PM5/18/12
to a-simpl...@googlegroups.com
Well I was hoping to continue discussion here, and then make a new post... or however you feel comfortable with it. I think once this passes, if it does, it will clarify things!

Serengaeth

May 18, 2012, 3:27:09 PM5/18/12
to a-simpl...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I think we should probably change the tag of Proposals that have been turned down, to Discussion. I'll do that now!

rockallnight

May 18, 2012, 3:36:01 PM5/18/12
to a-simpl...@googlegroups.com
I'm neutral on the subject.  I think both would work, although I think we should strive for simplicity.
This conversation is locked