Work in Progress: Administration

Serengaeth

May 23, 2012, 6:19:06 PM5/23/12
to a-simpl...@googlegroups.com
I am looking for some opinions on this work-in-progress rule-set. The intention is to create some method by which official discussion over complications and contradictions over proposals and existing rules can be raised and handled efficiently:

Administration
301: The game may be placed in a state of Administration in order to resolve questions regarding the validity of a proposal, or to help clarify and resolve potential contradictions or complications in the rules.
301.1: Any player may call for Administration by making a top-level post to the A Simple Nomic Google Group tagged with "Administration".
301.2: A call for Administration must clearly state the issue being raised and the reason Administration is required. If the issue is in regard to an open proposal for a rule-change, a link to the proposal must be included.
301.2: A call for Administration must be seconded by another player before Administration can take place.

302: Once a state of Administration begins, an Arbitrator is chosen from the currently Active players.
302.1: The Arbitrator cannot be either the player calling for Arbitration or the player seconding the call for arbitration.
302.2: If Arbitration is in regard to a proposal for a change to the rules, the player that proposed the rule cannot be the Arbitrator.
302.3: The selected Player must accept the role of Arbitrator, else a new Arbitrator must be chosen before Arbitration may proceed.

303: If no eligible player can serve as Arbitrator, Administration ends.

304: A chosen Arbitrator must review the issues raised by the players calling for Arbitration and suggest a Solution which is then voted on.
303.1: The Solution proposed by the Arbitrator must be posted as a reply to the original call for Arbitration.
303.2: All players may vote by replying to the post containing the Solution with one of the following words; "Accept", "Reject" or "Adjourn".
303.2.1: If the total votes to Adjourn exceed other votes, Administration ends.
303.2.2: Excluding votes to Adjourn, if votes to Accept the Solution are in excess of votes to Reject it, the Solution is accepted and Administration ends.
303.2.3: Excluding votes to Adjourn, if votes to Accept the Solution are not in excess of votes to Reject it, then a new Arbitrator is chosen to propose a new Solution.
303.3: A vote for Arbitration lasts 24 hours, or until all Active players have voted.

305: During Administration, no proposals may be adopted or rejected. New proposals can still be made and voted on but cannot be closed until Arbitration ends.

My main consideration at the moment is how to choose an Arbitrator in the event that Administration is called for; any ideas?

Seamus

May 23, 2012, 7:53:54 PM5/23/12
to a-simpl...@googlegroups.com
The Arbiter should be the highest-ranking player not involved in the Administration (not having a side)

Serengaeth

May 23, 2012, 10:10:26 PM5/23/12
to a-simpl...@googlegroups.com
See, this is where I wonder; rank is generally supposed to be a measure of involvement in the game. We've already messed with that a little by introducing the idea of "buying" ranks but since points are earned by making proposals and voting on them it still stands. There's no reason that other things can be bought with points, later on.

I don't know if rank should be used to determine how much power an individual has; should playing a lot, earning points, and buying ranks mean you get to settle disputes?

I suppose it's conceivable that a player's involvement in the game means they're supposed to have more power... my amended rule 302 could look like this:
302: During Administration, an Arbitrator is chosen from the currently Active players. The Arbitrator is the highest-ranking, eligible player. In the event that two or more eligible players share a rank, the player with the highest score becomes the Arbitrator.
302.1: The Arbitrator cannot have served as Arbitrator during the current period of Administration.
302.2: The Arbitrator cannot be either the player calling for Arbitration or the player seconding the call for arbitration.
302.3: If Arbitration is in regard to a proposal for a change to the rules, the player that proposed the rule-change cannot be the Arbitrator.
302.4: The selected Player must accept the role of Arbitrator.

uberknight

May 25, 2012, 5:29:26 PM5/25/12
to a-simpl...@googlegroups.com
Instead of basing it on rank you could just cycle through the active players in the player list. The first time you need an arbitrator, start with the first active person in the list. If they are eligible, they become the arbitrator. If not, it moves to the next active person on the list until you find an eligible person. Then the next time an arbitrator is needed, start checking at the first active player in the list after the last arbitrator. That would give everyone a chance at it rather than leaving it to the people with the highest rank.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to the highest ranking player getting it each time. Just wanted to put out another idea.