Racing4Research :: Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona

Tom Brown

Jan 14, 2008, 4:00:51 PM1/14/08
to Zone...@googlegroups.com

[]

Dear Zone 8 PCA friends,

My husband Bob Beck has long shared his passion for Porsches through his dedicated commitment to the PCA.  Bob has served as the Arizona Region's Drivers Education Chair, Autocross Chair, Treasurer and as a member of the Board of Directors.  He was co-recipient of the AZPCA Enthusiast of the Year award in 2003 and our family was recognized as the PCA's Porsche Family of the Year in 2004.

What Bob has not shared with many is his daily struggle with the chronic pain and partial paralysis caused by Neurofibromatosis (NF).  Bob was diagnosed with Schwannomatosis, a rare type of NF, and he's endured three surgeries to remove tumors that grow on the nerves within his spinal canal.  There is very little known about the causes of NF and there is no known cure.  As odd as it is to say, Bob is one of the lucky ones - with the help of medication, he lives a fairly normal life.  The effects of this disease can be devastating depending upon the severity. In the Ohio Valley Region, 3-year old Jesse Markland suffers from a severe case of NF1.  Little Jesse has tumors throughout his body, including a brain tumor behind his left eye.  He endures debilitating pain, both on his skin and at the back of his head, which requires him to take pain medication three times a day - and he's just three years old.  In a poem, Jesse's mother Jill describes her son's pain as "a forty-five" on a scale of one to ten "like he's been hit by a train."

The heartbreaking reality of NF is that it knows no boundaries.  NF is a genetic disorder that causes tumors to grow on nerve endings throughout the body.  It's most common form, NF1, occurs in 1 out of every 3,000 births. There is a wide range of severity and the disorder is very unpredictable. Characteristics include: learning disabilities, multiple brain and spinal tumors, deafness, severe balance problems, debilitating pain, bone abnormalities, vision loss and physical deformities. NF affects both sexes, all races and ethnic groups equally. NF is more prevalent than Cystic Fibrosis, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and Huntington's Disease combined.

The Children's Tumor Foundation (CTF) is the leading organization dedicated to fighting neurofibromatosis.  At the upcoming Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona (January 26-27, 2008) CTF will join forces with the winning team of Farnbacher Loles Racing and their Porsche 997 GT3 Cup car to raise money for Racing4Research.  The Racing4Research campaign will raise money through pledges to benefit medical research for every lap that is logged at Daytona.   With more than just winning in mind, the CTF Farnbacher Loles Porsche racing team will drive to help find a cure to NF.

Porsche Club of America members across the county are joining together to support the CTF Porsche 997 GT3 cup car at the Daytona 24 Hours and we hope your region will join us.  Any support would be greatly appreciated - placing a web banner on your region website linking to racing4research.org (artwork is attached), sending out an email blast to members highlighting the R4R initiative, mentioning Racing4Research at your January club events or by hosting a Daytona 24 Hours viewing party to raise funds.  PCA members, let's support one of our own and celebrate our shared passion for Porsches by donating to Racing4Research!  No donation is too small.  You can pledge per lap or a fixed amount.  And CTF has a created a special VIP Package for Porsche Club of America members who wish to attend the race ( click here details).  All donations are tax deductible and eligible for corporate matching gift programs.  To make a donation or for details about the Racing4Research initiative, please download this brochure or visit www.racing4research.org

Let's help drive research and make a donation to Racing4Research today!

If I can be of any assistance or you'd like further information on how your region can help, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Jill Beck
Porsche Club of America
National Newsletter Committee Chair
Director and Webmaster, Arizona Region PCA

[]