upcoming hikes and news

Andrew Fulks

Nov 13, 2013, 8:44:24 PM11/13/13
to yoloh...@googlegroups.com
Hello hikers,

A reminder that Fall starts hiking season here in the Northern inner coast range, with cooler temperatures and a splash of fall color.

This Saturday, November 16th, Tuleyome will be leading a hike and some light pruning of vegetation from Annie's Trail, a newer loop trail at the Cold Canyon Headwaters.
Bring food, water, gloves, and a pair of loppers or a small pruning saw.  If you have only hiked the Cold Canyon loop, come on out and discover this new addition to the trail system.
You can go here to sign up:
Saturday, November 16th - Volunteer Trail Day at Cold Canyon
Hike Leader: Andrew Fulks, Difficulty Level: 4
Description: Annie's Trail is named after late board member Anne Schneider.  Anne was key in helping us preserve the Cold Canyon Headwaters, where the trail is located.  Key to making the trail usable for the public is an annual workday where we clear encroaching brush from the trail.  Total distance is about 7.5 miles round trip.
Meet: at 8am at the Cold Canyon Parking area off of Highway 128, on the side of the highway about one-quarter mile south of the Highway 128 bridge over Putah Creek and the Canyon Creek Resort.

We have other hikes on our calendar, so be sure to go there to check them out! (Including the epic 14.5-mile Berryessa Peak Trail hike in December)

Also, many people like to hike Road 53 out of Guinda, especially when the waterfall is running.  Be aware that there is NO PARKING within 500 feet of the end of the road before the gate.  You can park on the side of the road to the east (closer to Guinda) of the 'No Parking' signs, but will get a ticket if you park in the 'No Parking' area.  It's well marked, so pay attention.  On the plus side, we are working with a set of Eagle Scouts to build fence crossing stiles so you won't have to climb on the gates in the near future.  The first stile at the first gate should be completed this Saturday, with the second still being scheduled.
On a side note, I spoke with a very apologetic Yolo Sheriff's Deputy yesterday.  He mistakenly told a family that the road was private, but called me the next day to let me know that if the family was by chance on our email list, he was sorry that he was, in his words, 'completely wrong.'  So, rest assured that the Sheriff's Deputies know the road is public.  No rain to make the falls run, yet, so keep hoping!

Andrew Fulks
President, Tuleyome
Protecting the wild heritage and agricultural heritage of the Northern Inner Coast Range and the Western Sacramento Valley for existing and future generations.
Visit the Yolohiker web site for trail maps, hikes, and outings in the Putah and Cache creek watersheds.