a local National Monument?

Andrew Fulks

Dec 17, 2014, 1:56:33 PM12/17/14
to Yolohikers
Fellow hikers,

Yes, you read that right.  Tuleyome has been working for over 5 years on permanent protection for the federal public lands that stretch from Cold Canyon on the south up to Snow Mountain on the north!

Now we have the chance for President Obama to make our nearby federal public lands into a National Monument!  This will ONLY happen if we have a strong showing at a town hall meeting happening this Friday (yes, short notice).  Why such short of a notice?  The Administration had to arrange the schedules of the Secretary of the Interior, the Chief of the Forest Service, Undersecretary of the Department of Agriculture, and BOTH Congressman Thompson and Congressman Garamendi.  These are the folks that will make it happen, but only if we show up at the hearing.
If you need a ride, we will have bus seats available, so check below for instructions on getting a ride.

The meeting will take place:
December 19th, 2014
2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Napa Valley College Performing Arts Center
2277 Napa-Vallejo Hwy, Building 100
Napa, CA 94559
Attendees will include Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell, Under Secretary of Agriculture for Natural Resources and the Environment Robert Bonnie, U.S. Forest Service Chief Tom Tidwell, and Congressman John Garamendi. Members of the public are invited to attend and publicly state their opinion.
This meeting follows our efforts to bring the administration to visit the Berryessa Snow Mountain region and urging the President to use his authority to designate the federal public lands within the region as a national monument.

Since 2012, Senator Boxer and Congressman Thompson have introduced legislation that would designate the federal public lands in the Berryessa Snow Mountain region as a National Conservation Area. A national monument designation would achieve the same goals as the legislation, permanently protecting the region, ensuring continued recreational opportunities while safeguarding the region’s beauty, wildlife, rare plants and waters — which include important sources of drinking water and irrigation for nearby communities.
A national monument designation for the Berryessa Snow Mountain region has broad support from local governments, businesses, landowners, local farmers, and recreation and conservation groups, including the International Mountain Bicycling Association, the Blue Ribbon Coalition, Back Country Horsemen and the Equine Land Conservation Resource.

The Congressman states that he's, "proud to showcase this pristine resource to senior administration officials, and hope that you will join me in welcoming them to our district."

Please RSVP by contacting Congressman Thompson's Napa District Office at 707-226-9898 or berr...@mail.house.gov.

Click here if you will need transportation from Sacramento, Davis, Winters, or Berkeley. http://goo.gl/Ua442I

The bold part above has the RSVP link to the bus pickup times and locations.
Davis 11:30 at Amtrak Station
Winters 11:45 Community Center
Sacramento 11 at the Convention Center

Friends, if you attend one meeting in your lifetime, make it this one.  I hope to see you there!

Andrew Fulks
President, Tuleyome
Protecting the wild heritage and agricultural heritage of the Northern Inner Coast Range and the Western Sacramento Valley for existing and future generations.
Visit the Yolohiker web site for trail maps, hikes, and outings in the Putah and Cache creek watersheds.