IMPT: Audition Information

Tala Ginsberg

Aug 7, 2017, 12:37:16 PM8/7/17
to YNYC_Au...@googlegroups.com, Nick Jones, Abbey Hunt, Elisa Nikoloulias, Kelly Shoemaker, Lucy Mathias
Hi all!

Please read this email in its entirety!! It contains all the information you need regarding auditions. Please also be sure to read the FAQ that were sent out on July 26, if you haven't. Thanks for your interest in auditioning for YNYC! Sign ups will open at 12pm on August 14th. Auditions will take place from 7:30-9:30pm on August 21st and 22nd. A few things to note:

Rehearsal/concert availability
Please double check your availability before auditioning! See the bottom of this post for full concert schedule this season. Strong preference is given to singers who can commit to all performance dates (which shouldn't discourage you if you do have conflicts that you already know of, but we would like to know about them ASAP). You must also be able attend at least 2/3 of rehearsals in order to perform in the concerts.

Women
You will need to decide in advance whether you are auditioning for the Women's Ensemble or the Mixed Ensemble so that we can be sure we have equal interest represented in auditions. Regardless of which one you audition for, our director may still consider you for either ensemble.

Audition sign-ups
The link to sign up for auditions will be sent on August 14 at 2pm. Please only sign up for one slot. If you have to cancel your time, please take yourself off of the sign up page and email me (ta...@ynyc.org) or Kelly (ke...@ynyc.org).

Audition slots
We have a set number of slots available for each voice part in order to have proportionate representation (i.e. we need to be able to listen to the same number of tenors as sopranos). You will sign up once the poll is sent out. Auditions will be 5-10 minutes each and will run on a first come first serve basis. While there are sign up time slots, feel free to come any time within that time.

Waiting list
There are limited openings in each ensemble, so talented singers may find themselves on a waiting list. Because of the transient nature of life in NYC, our membership is often in flux. If members drop out within the first few weeks of rehearsal, we will pull members from the waiting list into the roster!

Voice parts
We hold auditions based on the following vocal ranges. The outer ranges (S1, A2, T1, B2) are almost always in greater need than the middle ranges (S2, A1, T2, B1), so the middle ranges are combined for the sake of auditions. These ranges are representative of notes you can be expected to sing in each concert (most of the music is within a comfortable range but there are always extremes popping up here and there). If you are auditioning for an outer range, we want to hear clear, strong, and well-supported demonstrations of that range.

Location
Auditions are at Pearl Studios located at 500 8th Avenue. The room will be listed when you sign up for auditions.

Ok! Whew! you read all of that, right?

Reminder: Auditions will consist of singing vocal exercises and a simple sight reading test, and singing 16 bars (approx. 1 minute) of a song of your choice. Your prepared piece can be any song in any genre you feel comfortable with and that will show off your voice. We tend to sing classical choral music with occasional forays into folk and spiritual songs, if that helps inform your choice. Sheet music is encouraged but not required.

Women: Unfortunately, if you are not available on the 21st or 22nd, at this time we are not planning any additional auditions. You will, however, be notified of any and all future auditions as they may occur throughout the semester.

Men: For full disclosure, we are in particular need of strong basses. If you are one of these people and find that you cannot make these audition slots, please email me (Tala, ta...@ynyc.org) or Kelly (ke...@ynyc.org) to try to work something out.

If you have questions, PLEASE re-read this email and re-read the FAQ before you email me.

Inline image 1

Best,
Tala

--
Membership Coordinator/Project Manager
The Young New Yorkers' Chorus Women's Ensemble (WYNYC)