[Writers Against Terrorism] 8/13/2006 11:15:19 AM

Enemy of the Republic

Aug 13, 2006, 1:45:19 AM8/13/06
to Writers-Agai...@googlegroups.com
I did some reading tonight, and I think the world is amazed that Israel, who has affirmed their capablilities for this, has not razed Lebanon to the ground and made it uninhabitable for centuries. They are more amazed that the Shites, who were seen as worse than the Jews at one time by the Sunnis, are so well-trained and organized. Some of this is from Iran--indeed, a good part, but money comes from other wealthy Shite sources, including the US, which is seeking out terrorists cells for this possible likelyhood. Your point is well-taken; how can one form a consensus when bald facts are hidden and disguised; things are not as they seem. When this war began, I said to my husband: this will be a long one. He agreed, but few others did, because everyone thought that Israel had the military superiority, plus the backing of the US. Yet they have been proven vulnerable, not incapable of losing, but perhaps not able to acheive the victories that happened in the past. In short, the Arab world is pissed off and no one with any real authority is doing much to make things better for them--thus the violence may quadruple, not just in Lebanon, but in other countries where more innocent victims will be affected for no reason. This may sound bad coming from an American, but I wish we could keep our nose out of it and let Europe and Asia engineer the peace process. We are way too resented, and the Iraqi War does not give us an ounce of moral authority.

--
Posted by Enemy of the Republic to Writers Against Terrorism at 8/13/2006 11:15:19 AM