Bicycle Touring News from South America

Amaya Williams

Sep 15, 2010, 6:29:04 PM9/15/10
to world-bik...@googlegroups.com
collage-boys--logo-3-final.gif

It´s been an adventurous month.  We said goodbye to Brazil and all it's warm and wonderful people and made our way to Bolivia.  Then our troubles began. A few silly mistakes on our part and then some challenging riding through the Chaco.  The Chaco is a big empty space.  Nothing out there but a few million heads of cattle.  And have I mentioned that Bolivia's suffering from the worst fires in decades?  We survived and learned a few lessons along the way.  Here's the story;

Bicycle touring is, without a doubt, meaningful and challenging.  It’s a test of your physical limits, an opportunity to venture into uncharted territory and expand your worldview. But sometimes it's just plain old boring.  We'd like to share our thoughts with you on surviving monotonous rides.

Setting off on a bicycle tour can be scary.  Once you pedal out of the driveway you’re in uncharted waters.   Your mind start’s racing and you’re sure danger and catastrophe lurk just around the corner.  It seems counter-intuitive, but confronting your fears is one of the best ways of overcoming them.  Here's some insight on what can go wrong on a bicycle tour:
And we'd like to end with some inspiration.  Here's our latest Round the World Bicycle Touring Video.  Hope it gets you fired up to set off on a ride.

You can connect with us on Twitter and get mini-updates from the road:

Thanks for all your support.  It gets lonely on the road, so we love to get emails.  Feel free to drop us a line if you've got bicycle touring questions.  We'll do our best to help.  You can also share in the comments section.

Wishing you all the best from Paraguay,
Eric and Amaya

--
  cycling the world since 2006