Dengue Dampens the Fun--bike touring news from French Guiana and Brazil

World Biking: News from Amaya & Eric

Jun 21, 2010, 9:37:11 PM6/21/10
to World Biking Africa
It’s been another tough month for us. A bout of dengue fever dampened
the fun of reaching (on June 7th) our 4 years on the road
anniversary. And once we survived the medical challenges we were
faced with one of the worst stretches of road in South America—in the
rainy season no less.

Celebrations of the 4 year milestone, as you can imagine, went by the
wayside.

Now we’re on the banks of the wild and wonderful Amazon, preparing for
a riverboat trip downstream on the MV Coronel Jose Julio. Then it’ll
be back on the bikes as we race through central Brazil on our way to
Patagonia.

You can read all about the dangers of dengue fever, sea turtles laying
eggs on French beaches and traditional markets more likely to be found
in the highlands of Laos than just outside of Cayenne. Check it out
in the latest South America Bicycle Touring update:

http://worldbiking.info/updates/Bicycle_Touring_South_America_Update_59.html

And if you don’t believe us about that rough road, check out the
video:
http://bit.ly/worst-road-in-brazil

Wishing you all well from the equator at Macapa, Brazil

--Eric and Amaya

PS: Life on the road gets lonely sometimes. We’d love to hear from
you!