issue with the "check consistency" function ?

Pauline Bureau

Nov 18, 2021, 10:47:46 AM11/18/21
to WordSmith Tools
Dear Pr. Scott,

I auto-joigned the lemmas in my wordlists and then computed lemma>"check consistency" choosing an index wordlist based on the same texts but the "text" and "diespersion" columns for the words which have been lemmatised still remain associated with the mention "n/a" :  do you know if it is normal ?

Thank you

Mike Scott

Nov 18, 2021, 11:27:31 AM11/18/21
to WordSmith Tools
Yes that is normal. The reason is that when we lemmatise two items, all WS knows is that item A was found in P texts and item B in Q texts, It doesn't know whether P texts are the exact same set as the Q texts. So we put "n/a" meaning not available.
Cheers

Pauline Bureau

Nov 19, 2021, 5:49:23 AM11/19/21
to WordSmith Tools
Thank you for your answer. Yet I thought that the "check consistency" function was a way to counter WS's impossibility to identify overlaps : if not, what is this function used for ? And isn't there any other ways to have the number of texts for lemmas ?

Best regards

Mike Scott

Nov 19, 2021, 6:46:30 AM11/19/21
to WordSmith Tools
Sorry Pauline!
I hadn't read your message thoroughly enough. It *ought* to have done it. Will check.

Cheers

Pauline Bureau

Nov 23, 2021, 9:28:58 AM11/23/21
to WordSmith Tools
Dear Pr. Scott,

did you have time to look at the check consistency function ?

Best regards,

Pauline

Mike Scott

Nov 23, 2021, 11:42:37 AM11/23/21
to WordSmith Tools
I checked, but it is tricky to fix, Pauline. Afraid you will have to wait till I can fix it or incorporate it into the new 64bit WSmith 8.
Sorry!
Cheers -- Mike