Error when attempting to export to Excel

Darby McGrath

May 22, 2020, 8:57:25 AM5/22/20
to WordSmith Tools
Hi Mike,

I repeatedly get an error stating: \ is not available for saving (image attached) when trying to export a concordance to Excel.

This occurs about 90% of the time. About one in every ten attempts exports successfully, but I've been unable to establish why.

Thank you,
Darby

error message.docx

Mike Scott

May 22, 2020, 9:17:47 AM5/22/20
to WordSmith Tools
Darby, hi

I repeatedly get an error stating: \ is not available for saving (image attached) when trying to export a concordance to Excel.

That is because you haven't entered a file-name. It's failing to save because it has no file-name. (Similarly, nobody could get baptised or married or a death certificate if no name was known.)  Click the button to the right of the save box and choose a folder to save in and type the filename.

Cheers -- Mike

Darby McGrath

May 22, 2020, 6:44:04 PM5/22/20
to WordSmith Tools
Oh - That's a little embarrassing. Thank you.

In my defence, it looks as though it has a filename, because the field automatically fills with '_Concordance list.xlsx', but as you suggest, there is no filepath.

Thanks again,
Darby

Mike Scott

May 23, 2020, 3:02:36 AM5/23/20
to WordSmith Tools
Hi Darby
Sorry if the system isn't clear enough. I will try to think of a way to avoid this.
It's supposed to use your default folder for saving as the file-path. Perhaps you do not have a default folder for Concordances? The folders are visible in Folder settings in the main Controller and originally their defaults are sub-folders of \Documents\wsmith8. If you're on a Mac running Parallels that might not apply.
Cheers -- Mike

Mike Scott

May 23, 2020, 4:22:56 AM5/23/20
to WordSmith Tools
I have fixed this and you will be able to upload today or tomorrow (8.0.0.32). I think you were computing a concordance and then saving straight to Excel. It will now have a default filename with path.

Cheers!

Darby McGrath

May 23, 2020, 5:16:36 AM5/23/20
to WordSmith Tools
Hi Mike,

You're correct - I was using a different folder.

From memory, I was running concordances, saving them as concordance files, then saving them again as Excel files without closing and reopening the concordance file. Would that have the same effect? If not, then perhaps this explains why it was working sometimes and not others - on some occasions I may have remembered to save the concordance file first, in which case the save-to-excel worked, and other times I did not.

In any case, thank you for sorting that out.

Darby

Mike Scott

May 23, 2020, 12:10:25 PM5/23/20
to WordSmith Tools
All fixed now. Please see the change log at https://www.lexically.net/wordsmith/version8/changelog8.html and details of what is new generally at https://lexically.net/downloads/version8/HTML/whatsnewinthisversion.html

Cheers -- Mike