Prize Committees

sorm...@member.ams.org

Jan 23, 2007, 9:21:51 PM1/23/07
to WomeninMath
Perhaps we could start compiling a list of men and women who have
demonstrated that they might select a women mathematician for an
extremely competitive prize.

I would begin with:

Bernt Øksendal (University of Oslo, Norway),

Jacob Palis (Instituto de Matematica Pura e Aplicada, Brazil),

Peter Sarnak (Princeton, USA),

Le Dung Trang (ICTP, Italy)

Srinivasa Varadhan (Courant, USA).

who were on the prize committee that selected a woman for the
Ramunajan Prize in 2006. This prize goes to *one* young
mathematician from a developing country per year and so she
must have been selected over numerous exellent men.

If anyone else notices a woman being selected for a prize or special
lecture
series or other honor under similarly competitive situations, please
post the
names of the committee that selected her as well. Selection
committees for
prizes only awarded to women, or those who have served on search
committees
when a department is specifically looking for a woman, should not
count.

While many of us personally know supportive mathematicians I believe
that in
a public google accessible place like this forum, it is more fair to
list only
mathematicians with a public record. In private, however, please do
feel very
free to recommend and nominate any mathematicians who you feel would
fairly award prizes to deserving women.