Winecamp in lake Geneva area: dates and venue

gregoire

Feb 9, 2007, 5:41:25 AM2/9/07
to WineCamp
I finally make progress in the organization of this winecamp.
I have to choose one of these two WE:
- the 8-9-10 of June
- the 15-16-17 of June
If anybody have remarks or preferences to notify you're welcome!

I'd like also your feedback concerning two options I have for the
venue.

1. After negociating with people of the chateau de ripaille (a place
where I've still organized a wine & solidarity event in 2003 with the
UN refugee agency) we could have two rooms in the chateau for 2 days
for 750 euros.
I could find the money with sponsoring and upgrading the wifi
installation for the winecamp souldn't be a problem.
We could camp in a camping just about 1-2 miles from the chateau and
200 meters from the lake.

2. My parents have a chalet in a village located in the mountains at
about 10 minutes from Evian (it's about 45 minutes from Geneva). So 10
minutes from the lake and 10 minutes from the mountains.
There are beds for about 15 people and possibility to camp in the
garden.
It's free and there is a (small) wifi installation.
It's not in the vineyard but the vineyard is just 10 minutes from here
and we can bring some wines for the work-sessions and plan a break for
visiting some local winery(ies).

My preference is for the #2 option because the organization is more
supple/adaptable and I prefer save the 750 euros (+ the fee we should
pay to the camping) for buying some good food and give *the rest* to
help some non-profits to pay for computers, bandwidth or whatever they
need.

Thoughts?

Message has been deleted

Consulting Goat

Feb 12, 2007, 1:05:05 PM2/12/07
to Wine...@googlegroups.com

Gregoire -

Aha! Finally - this is exciting! I've been planning to come to
France right after my school year is out, which means the second
weekend is better for me.

As for the winery or chalet option: What worked really well at
WineCamp Calaveras was that on Day 1, there was no power, no
computers - just humans talking. So I would recommend using that as
a guide to which situation might be better. If the chalet would lend
itself to 15-25 people being outside and talking / planning /
brainstorming on Sat, and there's enough bandwidth for at least half
of those folks to work online on Sunday, then that would be ideal. I
think even if the lake is a short drive away, trying to get a bunch
of people to drive around is going to be a logistical challenge.
Which site would be nicest to just stay and talk for half a day?

I'm looking forward to this!

gregoire

Feb 13, 2007, 12:17:18 PM2/13/07
to WineCamp
Hey Gregoire, so glad to hear that you still plan your trip to France
around these dates!
I have also a preference for the second weekend.

Thanks for insisting concerning the "no power, no computers - just
humans talking" on Day 1:
I'm also convinced of the importance of this factor.
There is a wonderful spot in the mountains just 10 minutes from the
chalet where we could be in these conditions (photo: http://
www.flickr.com/photos/64618475@N00/118083761/in/photostream/ ).
Concerning the bandwidth I need to check.

Note that I try to find a way for having this winecamp even if the
weather is bad.
I remember asking Tara or Chris: "what had you planed if the WE was a
rainy one?"...
The response was: "nothing, we were so sure that we couldn't have a
bad weather for a so *good* (good cause) event!"
I love the spirit and this positivism, but I'd like to have something
to propose in case of bad weather :)

On Feb 12, 7:05 pm, Consulting Goat <consultingg...@sbcglobal.net>

Consulting Goat

Feb 13, 2007, 2:19:49 PM2/13/07
to Wine...@googlegroups.com

Wow - will there still be snow up there in June?

Hmm - I guess counting on a dry day in Calaveras is a better bet than
the Alps....

Well, between the chalet, and ... big tents? I don't know what the
space is like, but if the garden has room for 2-4 personal tents, and
at least one big "pavillion tent" which could provide shelter from
the rain? Is this chalet right in the town / village? If worse comes
to worse - aren't there bars/ cafes in the neighborhood (t least for
day one, if it rains...) - although then it's not really "camping"...

Also, even if there is no rain, how will all the people get online?
I just remembered that bandwidth is only one issue - you want enough
indoor space for everyone, because it's really difficult to see your
laptop screen outside.....

gregoire

Feb 13, 2007, 2:51:27 PM2/13/07
to WineCamp
For sure there won't be any snow in June, except higer (but who knows
regarding climate changes?).

The garden has room for 2-4 personal tents but no big "pavillon
tent".

There is a large room in the chalet where we can have 20-30 people.
There's also another room for about 10 people (+ a few rooms for 5
people).
So, if the weather is not so nice we can arrange to meet together in
the 20-30 people open-space and then
have different smaller workspaces in the chalet.
Here is the googlemaps'link to the chalet ( http://rubyurl.com/t7L )
and I will post later some photos and infos concerning indoor.
Except if we have 50 or more people/geeks for day 2 :D I'm sure that
there's enough space for *laptopsing* inside (even if there are some
californians
nerds who come with new apple very large *bright* screens MacBooks!).

I'll try to check with local people if they are not so busy on this
period and if they'd like to be part of our "Bettre World
initiative"... and
offer the room in the village.
I will also check with the UN refugee agency and with the ICRC if they
can install a tent as soon as I have the confirmation of the date.

Thanks Greg for your comment and interrest.