Remote participation

gregoire

Apr 19, 2007, 8:07:38 AM4/19/07
to WineCamp
The remote participation in barcamps has been debated lots of time in
threads, blogs and skype. Conclusion: barcamps are about meeting IRL!
Except for special occasions or concerns, it seems that it's not the
good way to focus on remote participation when you prepare a barcamp.
Notable exception is BarcampEarth: that was an anniversary with lots
of barcamps all around the world and with lots of barcampers
interested in improving their "community feeling" with remote
participation.
For winecamp it seems there is a good excuse for organizing remote
participation: there is a part of the winecamp that is dedicated in
developing some tools for helping non-profits. As for a mash-pit, it's
not just about sharing ideas and presentions, it's also about giving
life to these projects with writing lines of code. And, in this case,
that's about coding for a Better World!
I still have some friends who have told me that they can't deal with
their agenda for physically attending, but they don't want to miss
this occasion to use their particular skills for such projects like
helping to end the genocide in Darfur or giving the chance to non-
profits to raise funds and spread through SecondLife.
Why not give the possibility to this talentuous barcamper to
participate with giving him a piece of code to optimize?
I've also had a proposition of the people who run a cool cyber-café in
Paris where we've had our last BarcapParis. They told they can't make
the trip to winecamp but they want to organize a simultaneous event in
their cyber-café with giving a chance to Parisians to participate.

So, it seems that we are goind to have a chat/IRC during the 3 days
with live updates and, at least for Paris, one or two remote sessions.
A friend from Paris propose to take care of the organization of these
sessions via FlashMeeting.

Any ideas for extracting the most BetterWorld juice of all that is
welcome.