WineCamp NorCal 2007

1 view

rai...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2007, 3:36:09 PM1/18/07
to WineCamp
Anybody got any visions, sites, or plans? We had too much fun last year
to let it slide.

Raines

Tara Hunt

Jan 18, 2007, 4:22:33 PM1/18/07
to Wine...@googlegroups.com
Heh...totally. We've been so swamped that we've let it slide thusfar.

Maybe it's time to fire up the planning engines again. I'd prefer it to be more into the summer months, though...maybe even right before harvest so that the grapes are out...

T.
--
Sincerely,

Tara
-----------------------
tara 'miss rogue' hunt
agent provocateur
Citizen Agency (www.citizenagency.com )
blog: www.horsepigcow.com
phone: 415-694-1951
fax: 415-727-5335

Chris Heuer

Jan 18, 2007, 5:39:52 PM1/18/07
to Wine...@googlegroups.com
Right before harvest would be August or so – beautiful time of year to be sure, just need to make sure they are not completely engrossed with preparing for the harvest.

Chris

Consulting Goat

Jan 18, 2007, 6:28:47 PM1/18/07
to Wine...@googlegroups.com

By the way - how's wedding planning? We survived our *three*
ceremonies last year, but it friggin' killed me. Blog? Web2.0?
Sleep? Fergeddit....

Consulting Goat

Jan 18, 2007, 7:43:46 PM1/18/07
to Wine...@googlegroups.com

That last one was for Chris. For the rest of y'all, contemplate le
WineCampe in France, possibly this June?

And for what it's worth, we were in wine country in October, and it's
gorgeous (turning leaves), and also the time when new releases are
coming out....

Greg "Jeeezus, I can't believe I replied to the group" Boyteen

Chris Messina

Jan 19, 2007, 3:15:14 PM1/19/07
to Wine...@googlegroups.com
;)

Well, we definitely want to make it happen again -- and I agree with
Tara that finding a good date would be ideal. We also need to think
about non-profit events happening in the region, since we were able to
pull some last minute folks in from the Net Squared event last year.

The venue is also up for discussion, though Ferriere has expressed
interest again -- I'd just like to see Andrew involved on this list so
he gets a feel for what we have in mind.

There were suggestions for holding WineCamp just across the Golden
Gate, near Sausilito -- and I'm sure if we start thinking about it now
we'll come up with some great ideas.

In any case, thanks for the nudge Raines -- I'd love to see this
year's event go off even better than last year's!

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Citizen Provocateur &

Libba Phillips

Jan 19, 2007, 3:59:17 PM1/19/07
to Wine...@googlegroups.com

A nonprofit perspective and some news I’d like to share….

As some of you may recall – I came to Wine Camp with very little knowledge of the tech world and great hopes that there would be someone who could take my lofty dreams of creating a database to support our cause of ‘navigating the lost highway for missing kids off the grid’.  I was not prepared for the outpouring of ideas and the can do spirit of Zack, Lobo, Kurund and many others.  Your enthusiasm and support restored my hope and faith in humanity in ways I cannot express.

As a result of that experience, the great team support and training that took place afterwards, a bit of trial and error, and the dedication of a very special volunteer here in Sacramento, Inelia Benz, we FINALLY realized our dream of a CMS open source website just launched last week!  www.outpostforhope.org

One of the greatest challenges we’ve had as an all volunteer staffed nonprofit is that we have not yet realized the resources, paid staff, funding etc. that would permit implementation of some of the fantastic tools we learned about at Wine Camp.  We are a very small team – think just a few folks around a kitchen table – but now we can grow as a result of a good structure in place to help us move forward!    I thank you for making Wine Camp happen last year, the support we received and for the training that occurred after WineCamp as a result of Zack, Lobo, Paul Resnick, and others who shared their time, talent, and training to get our sole volunteer website manager up to speed.   She learned Joomla, a great deal about Drupal, got some experience with CiviCRM, and was able to explore other resources as a result of this experience.   We are now looking at a database option that we hope to have implemented by this spring – this is a very exciting time for us to realize these goals!

We were able to carry on with our goals as a result of what we learned and now we have a fabulous website that is so much more efficient than we knew was possible and this will allow us to focus on helping the most vulnerable of missing children and consider the next phase of our database management.

I learned a little about branding at Wine Camp and that helped me to come up with some marketing strategies and we have a cool little film on our site that we’re also promoting on YouTube.. Go to www.outpostforhope.org and click on our Founder’s Page to check it out.  Thanks to conversations with Seth M. – we implemented a fun little blog as well on our site.   And as a result of a conversations with another GoodStorm participant – the brilliant Laney from the Princess Project -  we now have a very creative t-shirt for sale now!  https://www.goodstorm.com/stores/outpost_for_hope

One thing I might suggest for your next winecamp gathering is to develop some kind of questionnaire for your nonprofit attendees who are usually technically challenged… (but not always!) J  to find out what support they may have for technical projects and/or some kind of template they can use to fill in the blanks themselves to determine what kind of support they may need to take on their own to realize their technical goals.

I’m sure all of you have heard the recent news of Shawn Hornbeck, the boy who was found after missing 4 years… it is my hope that as a result of our public becoming more informed about lost children, we have a more open door to shining the light on the population of invisible missing children that most people do not even know exist – and receiving support for our efforts to help the ‘the kids off the grid” ™  Thank you again so very much for this experience – each of you in some way – has had a hand in helping us create something magnificent… now we can be about the business of sharing our mission with the community at large so that we can help the most vulnerable of our society.  You rock!!

Blessings and best wishes in all you do!!

Libba Phillips, Founder

Outpost for Hope

www.outpostforhope.org

Navigating the Lost Highway for Missing Kids off the Grid

Grégoire Japiot

Jan 19, 2007, 4:35:55 PM1/19/07
to Wine...@googlegroups.com
That's so sweet to read the outpostforhope' feedback concerning winecamp!

I hope I'd propose some more details these coming weeks about the upcoming winecamp in the geneva lake area.
Organizing a winecamp without having techsoup and/or san francisco in the area is a real challenge... but a *sane* one ;)

I also hope that the news about a confirmed upcoming  winecamp in california could be the perfect signal for me to plane my first visit in the usa!

gregoire

http://claimid.com/gregoire

Consulting Goat

Jan 19, 2007, 4:36:34 PM1/19/07
to Wine...@googlegroups.com

Wow. This is fantastic. Thanks for sharing this with us, Libba. It's
inspirational, and exactly what WineCamp set out to do. :-)

Tara Hunt

Jan 19, 2007, 9:42:41 PM1/19/07
to Wine...@googlegroups.com
Yay Libba!

Would you want to write something for the BarCamp blog...or even the winecamp wiki?

Libba Phillips

Jan 30, 2007, 1:36:01 PM1/30/07
to Wine...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tara

Yes – I’d be glad to – can you direct me to those spots with a brief ‘how to’?  I am technically challenged but motivated. J

Libba

Jan 30, 2007, 1:46:15 PM1/30/07
to Wine...@googlegroups.com
I'll send you an invite to the BarCamp Blog. The Winecamp wiki is here: http://winecamp.pbwiki.com ... I pasted your story into the page: