Large Block Access

a...@qcn.nl

Jan 2, 2006, 5:25:35 AM1/2/06
to Windows 9x/ME/xp
A happy and healthy new-year to all of you out there. Is there any one
who can tell me when Large block Access (the way how we access hard
disks of more than 512MB) was introduced on PC's and when it was
available on a big scale within whole sales or distributors?

a...@qcn.nl

Jan 2, 2006, 5:26:08 AM1/2/06
to Windows 9x/ME/xp

livewire

Jan 5, 2006, 3:29:05 AM1/5/06
to Windows 9x/ME/xp
Large block ascess came in around windows 95 error and was full in to
use by windows 98 error. With the introduction of fat 32 Large block
acess was the only choice cause fat 16 couldn't support drive over 512
MB.
Around 1996 or earlier they started to phase it in since hard drive
were getting bigger and the operating system were using fat 32 instead
of fat 16. Most of the large block acess came on the bios chip of the
motherboard in the Ide autodetection for hard drive.Hope this help. Dave