Viili with Geotrichum candidum

Branden Byers

Mar 10, 2013, 9:39:18 AM3/10/13
to wild-fer...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know where I can source a traditional Viili starter with the Geotrichum candidum mold?

I'm specifically looking for the fuzzy kind and the heirloom viili cultures that I have tried so far do not produce a fuzzy mold on the surface. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Branden Byers

George Wilson

Feb 9, 2014, 4:53:36 PM2/9/14
to wild-fer...@googlegroups.com
Hey, I just joined this group last night and happened to notice this post. Did you ever find a viili culture with Geotrichum? I am currently on the hunt for one as well. Unfortunately I do not know many Finnish people.

nanaverm

Feb 9, 2014, 9:10:53 PM2/9/14
to wild-fer...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to this group!  You might also be interested in the Yahoo group Microbial Nutrition.  There may be some other folks on there who have the viili culture who can share it.  I've learned a lot from those in that group.

Nance

On Sunday, February 9, 2014 4:53:36 PM UTC-5, George Wilson wrote:
Hey, I just joined this group last night and happened to notice this post. Did you ever find a viili culture with Geotrichum? I am currently on the hunt for one as well. Unfortunately I do not know many Finnish people.

&
Branden Byers

George Wilson

Feb 9, 2014, 11:18:53 PM2/9/14
to wild-fer...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Nance, I appreciate it! I will certainly sign up.

Branden Byers

Feb 14, 2014, 11:43:09 AM2/14/14
to wild-fer...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I did find a culture that grows a mild film of geo on top. It's not as strong as I've seen in photos from Finland, but it definitely adds to the flavor profile. I ended up sourcing it from someone in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where the largest population of Finnish-Americans reside.

Branden

kristof polleunis

Mar 4, 2015, 9:50:39 AM3/4/15
to wild-fer...@googlegroups.com
A bit late, but maybe it's helpful for other people looking for Viili

I obtained Viili from a reliable Finnish source, the ropey one with Geotrichum candidum.

I supply a dried starter culture worldwide via Etsy.

For all people on here I'm offering a free discount of 30% till june 2015

vick...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2015, 9:55:09 PM11/6/15
to Wild Fermentation
Hi Nance........... have you run into any food scientists?  I need one for information on testing water kefir.

Vicki