Crushing and de-stemming grapes

Ledbelly

Jan 5, 2014, 6:07:04 AM1/5/14
to wild-fer...@googlegroups.com
So, i'm about to embark on some amateur miniature scale winemaking. I have to remove all the stems right? or the wine will be too bitter? once that's done i can crush the grapes, and then leave them to ferment with the skins and pips. can i just strain them to bottle them after this? or do i need to press them? if so how would i do this at home… just through a sieve? don't had a lot, maybe 3 bags of grapes.

any guidance much appreciated!

Lila Holland

Jan 5, 2014, 10:42:58 AM1/5/14
to wild-fer...@googlegroups.com
You don't *have* to remove the stems, depending on what kind of result you're looking for...like the pips and skins they will impart their own flavor and body into the wine...but I'd probably remove them anyway for your first try. You should press the grapes when you're done which you can do through a sieve if you're only making a small amount. Then let your wine ferment/age a bit longer without them. What kind of grapes are you using?

Sent from my iPhone