Confused about lactic acid

Marveen

May 30, 2013, 6:38:06 PM5/30/13
to wild-fer...@googlegroups.com
Firstly Hi all, I have just joined up tonight after finding this group. I am a fermenting newbie but have successfully managed a tasty batch of carrot and ginger sauekraut so far and have some water kefir hopefully culturing some sugar water right now hopefully sat alongside about 5 different "wild' attempts at kvass esque hopefully pro bio experiments, some involving sauerkraut juice others just sugar and fruit.
    ANYWAY.....
   I am curious as I have been reading about healthy diets and cancers and so on and have been reading about how lactic acid within the body is bad. Cancer cells produce lactic acid which is bad, unless they get stuck with it trapped in them which is good. While I just about understand this concept I dont get why lactic acid is bad in the first place. Everything I r4ead about fermentation says lactic acid is the bomb!!
    So does something change when we eat it? Can eating a (possibly bad) lactic acid work out good afterall?
Sorry my post isnt well written, just letting it plop out as it comes :)

Ken Heronheart

May 31, 2013, 10:13:01 PM5/31/13
to wild-fer...@googlegroups.com
I suspect it's a question of where in the body the lactic acid is.  If' it's in the gut it's probably good.  If it inside the cells that might be bad.

- Ken -

Elizabeth Evans

Jun 1, 2013, 2:09:07 AM6/1/13
to wild-fer...@googlegroups.com
It turns out that lactic acid causing soreness is a myth.  It is actually produced as part of the process of turning stored food into physical energy, and disperses quickly.  The soreness is from micro damage to muscle fibers.  http://lifehacker.com/5895140/10-stubborn-exercise-myths-that-wont-die-debunked-by-science