commercial kefir business

leen...@suglcapital.com

Feb 15, 2016, 3:14:10 PM2/15/16
to Wild Fermentation
Hi
I have been having kefir ( milk , water and coconut water based ) for a long time now and find it very beneficial for myself and my family .
i want to start a business and manufacture it commercially . any advise if anyone has , i would appreciate and if you know of anyone already doing a business on the same model i would love to know .
thanks
Leena .

PermacultureDenton

Feb 15, 2016, 3:17:36 PM2/15/16
to wild-fer...@googlegroups.com
Where are you located?  You'll have to have a commercial kitchen for this.  None of these are covered under cottage industry laws.  For me, there's way too much liability in selling kefirs.  Too volatile and too much the consumer would have to know in advance to remain safe.

Good luck.
Nichole

Nichole Fausey
Director of Business Management
PermacultureDenton
2809 Nottingham Drive
Denton TX 76209
214.404.7301
Living...@PermacultureDenton.org

Find us online...
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PermacultureDenton and
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorthTexasPermacultureandSustainabilityGuild/
Our PermacultureDenton Conversation group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PermacultureDenton/
MeetUp: http://www.meetup.com/PermacultureDenton/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PermacDenton
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/PermieDenton/
Instagram: http://instagram.com/permaculturedenton/

Sabina

Feb 15, 2016, 3:45:17 PM2/15/16
to wild-fer...@googlegroups.com
I also know that USDA will only let you have about 11 strains of bacteria vs. the multitudes available in true kefir. You'll need these permits and approvals for commercial distribution. But check it out in your area the laws may vary...not the federal law, but locally you might be able to serve it vs. sell.

Sabina
--
Sabina