Fermenting squashes?

Marveen

May 30, 2013, 7:07:43 PM5/30/13
to wild-fer...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone tried this or are they too squashy?
I am thinking of maybe trying butternut squash as it's a bit firmer or even sweet potato (I know, not a squash), just wondering if anyone has had any success or failure with this and has an idea of how it will taste. Thanks

Char Covelesky

Feb 4, 2015, 4:20:47 AM2/4/15
to wild-fer...@googlegroups.com
Well I suppose this may be a "little" late for an answer, (2 years, LOL) but in case you or anyone else might be curious still...  I just found this group so sorry for the delay!  I actually have used an over abundance of the infamous zucchini in quite a few different ferments with great success!  I've quartered the smaller ones and treated them just like cukes to make pickles, salting to taste and adding lots of garlic and dill, and a few grape leaves or oak leaves to keep them crispy, and I added a bit of liquid from a batch of past pickles.  They came out awesome after only about 2 days on the counter, but that's here in Fl during the summer.  I use the bigger ones shredded on a grater. The first batch I made with a few carrots, and again salted to taste, along with the juice of 2 limes and their zest, cumin, ginger, a little chili, and a few sprigs of cilantro.  Stirred all together it made it's own juice with no effort in no time, and I just ladled it into the jars!  I don't know what to call it but I used it kind of like you would salsa or chutney, really versatile, I even used it on salads and in dressing too to boost those probiotics!  It was so easy every time I got a few more zucchini I would grate them up and make each jar with a different flavor profile, I had a blast!  Zucchini are so bland you can use virtually any herbs or spices in any combo you like and you will come up with a winner!  The fun comes in when you get adventurous and start getting a little crazy!  Since I was getting them for free, for a few cents worth of spices, I had almost free reign, so I did go a little nuts!  Since I do live in Florida, I tried all kinds of citrus and their zests, in combinations with ginger, coriander, tumeric, cumin, you name it, some with chili heat, some without!  And of course, the "typical" Italian spice combos, and then curries and, it just goes on and on!  I tried slicing some on the mandolin and julienning them, cubing them, and so on, and they all worked, but the shred is my fave because it's so quick, easy and versatile for my needs, but it's all good, honestly!  The larger cuts need more fermenting time, but other than that, not many issues!  Go for it!  I haven't gotten a chance to use yellow squash but I would guess it would pretty much be quite similar.  Winter squash is a whole different "animal" since it is firmer and has a higher sugar content, and I haven't experimented with that yet either, so curious to hear about anyone else's adventures?