Solo Performance at Studio Safdar, New Delhi: If It Be Now - Fragments and Impressions of Hamlet

Arka Mukhopadhyay

Nov 12, 2014, 6:26:20 PM11/12/14
to inv...@yahoogroups.com, curtain-c...@googlegroups.com, Narthaki online, creati...@yahoogroups.com, options-...@googlegroups.com, impulsew...@googlegroups.com, whazzu...@googlegroups.com, delhinc...@googlegroups.com, reade...@sarai.net, reade...@mail.sarai.net

The Arshinagar Project (Kolkata)

in association with

Studio Safdar

presents

If It Be Now - Fragments and Impressions of Hamlet

Photo: Rhizome Lee

Devised and performed by : Arka Mukhopadhyay

"Thank you for producing and sustaining the intensity that makes the work riveting. All the agonizing questions of our times about our self, our identity, our loneliness and the daily jousting with self-doubt find space within the illumined spaces of candle light"

Sadanand Menon, distinguished theatre scholar and journalist

The piece is based on works by Boris Pasternak, Heiner Muller, Jan Kott and others, as well as original writing and Shakespeare's play.  Combining elements of structured action and improvisation, it looks, not for meaning or a message, but at experience - at an utterly human Hamlet, trapped inside a prison of words, giving birth to him in the immediacy of the now, responding as much to the physical space and the presence of the watchers, as to the universe of Hamlet. In effect, this is a passion play that tries to find illumination out of darkness.

The performance has violent images and explicit content, hence viewer discretion is advised. It is open only to those above 18 years of age..

The performance lasts for approximately forty-five minutes

More reactions:

"There is a sense of joyousness in spite of the pain. Watching you, I too felt that joy"

"Made me connect with absurdity! For that, thanks a lot."

"Perplexed, frightened & suddenly aware!"

"Simply amazing, complexity brings out something other than the usual"

"Thank you for thinking and having us think with you. Hamlet to Godot to Endgame?"

Dates: November 29th and 30th            Time: 6:30 PM (no entries will be permitted once the performance has started. Please be there by 6:15 PM at the latest)

For details, e-mail: thearshina...@gmail.com

Venue: Studio Safdar and May Day Bookstore and Cafe

2254/2A Shadi Khampur, New Ranjit Nagar, New Delhi 110008

Metro: Shadipur on BLUE line. Avoid driving.

Finding parking is tough, particularly on Saturday.

Directions: Shadipur Metro - Satyam Cinema - cycle rickhsha - 'Biyaasi number' - May Day Board next to DMS booth.

e-mail: studio...@gmail.com/ 011 2570 9456