Fwd: This Saturday, Nov. 11 is Milwood's ART Day! More than 50 artists and more! Also a Meeting on the Land Development Code.

1 view

Susan Jackson

Nov 11, 2023, 7:34:33 AM11/11/23
to Walnut Crossing

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Friends of Balcones Park, Milwood NA <balcon...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 5:23 PM
Subject: This Saturday, Nov. 11 is Milwood's ART Day! More than 50 artists and more! Also a Meeting on the Land Development Code.
To: <berlinsk...@gmail.com>

Join us for Milwood Art Day from 10am to 2pm and More!
Don't Miss this Great Event and additional info!
View this email in your browser

Milwood Art Day is Finally HERE!
Saturday, Nov. 11 from 10am to 2pm!

Milwood Art Day is spread around the Milwood/Walnut Crossing neighborhoods from a few central locations to individual artists’ studios.

Come see over 50 artists in all forms, which included adults and youth who are painters, photographers, jewelry makers, ceramic artists, print makers, mosaic artists, performance artists, musicians, bakers, fine food purveyors, marching bands, balloon twisters and so much more!

Find the map and list of participating artists below.

10:30am will be a free Magic Show by the Amazing Aaron at the Texan Market. The best seats will be available at 10:15am.

To see Artist Spotlights go to the Facebook Page!

THANK YOU to all of our volunteers at
It's My Park Day at Balcones Park!!

We had over 40 volunteers and
managed to pick up a LOT of trash and
clean out the old dead branches from the pool area!

A Special Thanks to Boy Scout Troop 421 organizing this event for our park!

All are welcome!
Join MNA to discuss Austin's Land Development Code changes and how they affect your house and neighborhood.

Sunday, Nov. 12 at 6:30-7:45pm

12217 Cassady Dr (Milwood Baptist Church)

You won't want to miss as it DIRECTLY affects you!
Open to all residents and non-residents!

Ed English will be joining us to discuss what the proposed Land Development Changes are and how we can best interact over this issue and protest our properties to get the best results.

Click HERE for more information on the matter.

Click here to Vote on MNA's Stance regarding the Land Development Code
Click here to RSVP to meeting or provide feedback
New Information within the below content:

Don't Overlook this Important Issue for our Neighborhood & Austin!
It came in the form of a purple postcard.

PROTECT YOUR HOME & YOUR NEIGHBORS:
FILE A NEIGHBORHOOD CONSERVATION PROTEST
FILE YOUR PROTEST HERE
Click here to also FILE YOUR electronic PROTEST**(This might not be accepted by the city so do both.)

Link to the "acceptable" protest form (first link above): https://publicinput.com/Customer/File/Full/1c6d494c-21fb-4943-86ec-9d6477479918
Never hurts to do more rather than less in this situation!

Here is an Outline of the Proposed Changes to the City Code.

For those interested, we believe current city code allows an accessory dwelling unit (ADU) but only for your family member.  Our Restrictive covenants (RCs) do not allow a second structure however.  RCs don't always get enforced since there is no longer an active HOA and the current zoning largely mandated the same density and compatibility protections.  Everyone who rents and owns property agreed to these limits when they moved here and for the city to impose this change is simply not fair.  We don't have any objection to ADUs if they meet building set backs and when infrastructure can accommodate the incremental increase in parking, utilities, etc.  But the scope of this proposal goes way beyond that.

Please take these three steps :
First Step: File a City-approved Protest (this one is for certain to be accepted by the city, simply grab your four neighbors (must be owners/not renters) on each side's signatures and backyard neighbors; just need 20% of them.)
                & File an online Protest (easiest but city might not accept)
Second Step:   File a Comment Opposing this Change with the City Council who will make this city-wide decision. By clicking HERE  Or attend one or more of these council meetings (Don't forget to register to be heard):
  • Tues, Nov. 14 at 6pm  - Austin City Hall, 301 W. 2nd St
  • Thurs, Dec. 7 at 10am  - Austin City Hall, 301 W. 2nd St
Third Step: Email the City Council your thoughts about the Land Development Code Changes they are proposing and voting on.

Another Park Improvement on Basketball Court

Milwood Neighbrhd Assoc and Friends of Balcones Park is working with the city to get the Basketball Court repaired along with adding child basketball goals on one side of half court.

If  you have an interest in helping us with this project please reach out to milwo...@gmail.com.

We would greatly appreciate the help!

Balcones Park and Pool’s Bathroom Improvements

Let’s make a difference in our neighborhood! Join us today in improving our wonderful Balcones Park & Pool’s Bathrooms!

We hope to try to partner with Austin Parks Foundation and City of Austin to make improvements to the bathrooms on both the park side and the pool side. We are excited that this benefit will enable us to better serve pool guests during the summer as well as park users year-round. Pictures of Bathrooms here.

Ideally we would raise enough to replace the toilets, sinks, and lighting fixtures but if not we will do the most with what we receive – starting with the park bathrooms since they are used year round! If we surpass our goal, any additional funds would be used to make additional improvements to flooring, doors, lifeguard hut, and showers.

We currently have $7,650 of $25,000 goal!

Please help us by making a donation or sharing to a neighbor!

Our park is well loved and the new playground and relatively new pool shade has been great in bringing people to our park. These additional Bathroom Improvements would go a very long way in increasing the enjoyment of park users as well so we are hopeful that we can make it happen! Thank you!!

Ways to Donate:

Donating is simple, just choose from the options below. Every penny will go toward the Balcones Park Project and once we raise $25,000 we will work with that to try and get grants from APF to make even more improvements! (Please consider making larger donations via check to save the cost of fees.)

Note: Many employers (Dell, Apple, etc) offer a donor matching program, so you can double your donation by giving through your company to Austin Parks Foundation – Balcones Park. (Please try to note that it is for Balcones Park). PLEASE MAKE SURE TO ALSO EMAIL US at balcon...@gmail.com with the details so we can make sure the funds actually get to Balcones Park.

Another Park Improvement at the Pavilion

Milwood Neighbrhd Assoc and Friends of Balcones Park is working with the city to try to get the drainage at the pavilion improved.

If  you have an interest in helping us with this project please reach out to milwo...@gmail.com.

We would greatly appreciate the help!

Please Join Us in Thanking MNA's Supporters

Copyright © 2023 Friends of Balcones Park, All rights reserved.
You chose to join the list to stay in the know about Balcones Park and changes that are hopefully taking place.

Our mailing address is:
Friends of Balcones Park
4606 Adelphi Ln
Austin, Tx 78727

Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp