Fwd: Proposed Safe Fencing Regulations at Planning Commission

ker...@wxna.org

May 17, 2023, 10:08:17 PM5/17/23
to Walnut Crossing

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: City of Austin Development Services <dsdcommu...@austintexas.gov>
Date: May 17, 2023 at 1:02:34 PM CDT
To: bo...@wxna.org
Subject: Proposed Safe Fencing Regulations at Planning Commission

Proposed Safe Fencing Regulations to be Considered by Planning Commission Next Week

We are contacting you today with an update on proposed Safe Fencing Regulations. The City of Austin Planning Commission will discuss possible new requirements at its meeting on May 23, 2023. This discussion could result in a recommended action by the Austin City Council in June and would affect fences in residential and non-residential areas, with some exceptions.

Recently, the Development Services Department gathered stakeholder input, both in person and virtually, to inform proposed code amendments. The goal of these changes was to improve the safety of children and wildlife. Specifically, Council requested staff and stakeholders to consider requiring flat-top designs for new fences and some repairs and remodels.

DSD staff will present on proposed code amendments at the Planning Commission’s regular meeting on May 23. If you would like to give feedback, public comment opportunities will be available in-person or by teleconference. Meeting details, including the proposed ordinance and how to register for public comment, will be posted on the Planning Commission’s webpage on Friday, May 19.

Thank you to everyone who has participated in this process. We appreciate your interest and partnership in ensuring technical codes are meaningful and effective in protecting our community.

City of Austin Development Services Department

City of Austin Development Services | 6310 Wilhelmina Delco Dr., Austin, TX 78752
Unsubscribe bo...@wxna.org
Constant Contact Data Notice
Sent by dsdcommu...@austintexas.gov

Daniel Creen

May 18, 2023, 12:55:02 AM5/18/23
to ker...@wxna.org, Walnut Crossing
I've never understood why dog-eared fences became the norm, but have there been significant injuries due to those?
Austin code is so totally weird; it's hard to imagine where they're coming from.

Daniel Creen

May 18, 2023, 1:05:25 AM5/18/23
to ker...@wxna.org, Walnut Crossing
Is there some fence builders association behind this?
There could be gold in that business real soon.

ker...@wxna.org

May 19, 2023, 1:08:40 PM5/19/23
to Walnut Crossing
document_11B0B481-BA07-5853-F8898EA1F414D3AA.pdf