CALL FOR PARTICIPATION-ART PRIDE PARADE!!!!

Kristin Beal-DeGrandmont

Mar 8, 2010, 10:20:24 AM3/8/10

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

Supercellica

is the evolution of Supercell, an exhibition of works inspired by summer storms,

organized by Sandra Luckett of The Squirrelly Girl's. First exhibited at ADA Gallery in

Richmond, VA and then at the Couchfire Collective in Columbus, OH.

Supercellica

will be on view at The Walnut Street Gallery, Friday May 28-June 11.
Reception Final Friday, May 28. 7-10 pm.
As part of the exhibition, there will be a large & spirited ART PRIDE parade
.
The parade will be a celebration of the arts in our city. It is conceived as a festival, like a

carnival or Mardi Gras, but what we are celebrating is ART! Wichita artists are integral to all

aspects of life in our city. The parade will feature artists of every kind, in every form, at

every stage of their respective careers.

VISUAL ARTISTS, DANCERS, ACTORS,

MUSICIANS. VISUAL ARTISTS, DANCERS, ACTORS,MUSICIANS...........WE NEED

YOUR PARTICIPATION TO MAKE THE PARADE A SUCCESS!!!!I am looking for

participation from all creative types, including(but not limited to) marching bands,

cheerleaders, flag core roups, orchestra members, musicians, artists, writers,

dancers, actors, crafters....YOU!!!

The evolving list of local and national artists participating in the exhibition and/or parade:

MATT KENYON
|TANYA TANDOC|MARTA MCKIM|ANNIE STRADER|LISA RUNDSTROM|ANN RESNICK|KEVIN MULLINS|STEVE JONES|GINNE BAIER|KIRSTEN KINDLER|SANDRA LUCKETT|KRISTIN BEAL-DEGRANDMONT|SHANNON JOHNSTON|VAUGHN WHITNEY GARLAND|JOEY CAPADONA|MONIKA MELER|DERRICK STANLEY|

In keeping with the Squirrely Girl's (SG) tradition, the approach is broad. The SG's formed

within the VCU Graduate Arts program under the heavy consciousness of 9/11. They were

exhausted from the tired semantics of aesthetic philosophies and the seemingly pointless

quarrels of academia. The SG's embrace collaboration and unpretentious fun.

And like hippies leaping forth from the social sterility of previous generations, they seem to have reacted by

entertaining boundless imagination, erecting monuments to the viability of fantasy.

S. Preston Duncan
ART PRIDE PARADE:

WHEN: SAT. MAY 29, 11 AM-1 PM

WHERE: ALONG DOUGLAS AVE. IN DELANO, FROM WALNUT STREET TO CENTURY

II. (TENTATIVE ROUTE)

Consider the parade as a large, community/collaborative performance art piece with the

intention of rallying community support for the arts.

So ANYTHING goes....floats/stilts/balloons/time travel/costumes/dancers/musicians/craft

brigades. We may even have a large convoy of antique military vehicles to play with!

Interested? please contact me with any questions at

krist...@gmail.com

please make contact stating

intent to participate by Monday March 22.

THINGS TO CONSIDER FOR PARTICIPATION:

●You or your group could

design a promotional float.

●You or your group could

dress like the homecoming kings/queens you are and ride

in a convertible while waving to your fans.

●You or your group could

walk the parade holding your work in some way.

●You or your group could

make art to wear on your body for a walking exhibition.

●You or your group could

develop a performance piece around and throughout the

parade route.

●You or your group could

put your sculpture on a wagon and pull it behind you.

●You or your group could

look cool while riding horses.

●You or your group could

make a giant, foil wrapped baked potato that spews glitter.

●You or your group could

make a large sign that you carried together.

●You or your group could

form a marching band using real or impromptu

instruments.

●You or your group could

dance the parade route, even if you don't know how.

●You or your group could

play a piano while rolling it through the parade route.

●You or your group could

walk the parade as art cheerleaders.

●You or your group could

walk the parade while performing a skit.

●You or your group could

form a marching band or real or impromptu instruments.

●You or your group could

make and wear a headdress and stilts.

●You or your group could

dress as Elvis/ and or Michael Jackson.

●You or your group could

figure out a way to sell your work along the parade route.

●You or your group could

use the parade to benefit you in any creative way.
artpride.pdf