Fabric

Darrel Meeks

Apr 28, 2009, 1:05:16 PM4/28/09
to WSU-Tech-A...@googlegroups.com

Does anyone know of a really thin, white fabric that won't disperse a point of light, shining from behind, sideways through its fibers, and thus splashing the light into a much wider pattern? I realize any fiber will conduct some of the light side-ways, but I'm looking for something that will keep the dispersion to a minimum.

Any ideas as to the type of fabric that has this property? Cotton? Nylon? Anything?

Eldon

Keith Neufeld

Apr 28, 2009, 1:13:43 PM4/28/09
to WSU-Tech-A...@googlegroups.com
> Does anyone know of a really thin, white fabric that won't disperse a
> point of light, shining from behind, sideways through its fibers, and
> thus splashing the light into a much wider pattern? I realize any fiber
> will conduct some of the light side-ways, but I'm looking for something
> that will keep the dispersion to a minimum.

I'm not sure exactly what your application is, but it sounds like the
solution may be a double layer of wax paper, ironed together:

http://forums.makezine.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=43

Depending on what you're doing and how big you need, projection screen
material can be as low as $16.95 / linear yard:

http://www.rosebrand.com/product703/Projection-Screen-and-Rear-Projection-Screen.aspx

Or $12 / sq ft if you need smaller pieces:

http://www.bigscreencenter.com/Projector-Screen-Material-s/848.htm

--
Keith Neufeld
neu...@neufeld.newton.ks.us

Darrel Meeks

Apr 28, 2009, 2:25:44 PM4/28/09
to WSU-Tech-A...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Keith. That gave me some ideas.

Eldon

Karma Michele

Apr 28, 2009, 3:15:41 PM4/28/09
to WSU-Tech-A...@googlegroups.com
I also saw some great material like that at the fabric store when I was looking for tracing paper, the fabric they use to make patterns out of is like that I think ;)