M441M fader

Nathan Gillotti

Sep 14, 2022, 8:38:06 PM9/14/22
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Hello

Long time lurker of this group, finally had a question I could figure out on my own!

On the M441M module, the fader in the console was originally placed between The preamp output (Pins 4 and D) and coming back on the booster amp input at (Pins 8 and J) correct?

Was the original fader wired like my included drawing with aono fader? Or did they use a stereo fader to attenuate both sides of the balanced output?

What was the original fader value?

Thanks!

M441M fader question.png

Charles Beauregard

Sep 14, 2022, 9:25:45 PM9/14/22
to WB...@googlegroups.com
It was a 600 ohm 1550 Penny&Giles  balanced fader that you can often find on eBay.

A stereo fader would work and I don’t think the circuit would behave abnormally if not loaded at 600 ohm.

--
The WBSps.ca is run by Canadians who appreciate Well Built Stuff

Manuals: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKczBIcDgzZkstUjQ

Photos:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKd2JnQzlrckY2bWM
---
Charles Beauregard

Anthony Kuzub

Sep 14, 2022, 9:26:32 PM9/14/22
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Good day

nope. Balanced faders.  Special special stuff.
TX: pin 4 is +       and D is -ve
RX: pin 8 is +ve    and J is -ve

The fader was dual trace with a mechanical linkage.
see:

image.png

Anthony

Nathan Gillotti

Sep 15, 2022, 12:43:08 AM9/15/22
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Excellent thanks guys!

SInce these ar going in a case with a pair of M402 EQ's Looks like Ill use a dual 1k linear pot with law bending resistors.

Thank you for the help!

warren beck

Sep 15, 2022, 1:16:53 PM9/15/22
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
A trick with which you could experiment would be use a t-pad form HairBall for their 1176 build kits.  essentially the 1550 fader we sued was a t-pad.

fwiw - give it a try vs your approach!  or grab some 1550 P&G faders form e-bay.

good luck and please post your findings.

Sep 16, 2022, 5:44:46 PM9/16/22
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Cool, I do have a few tpads laying around which might come in useful!

Curious, do you recall what the series and shunt resistor values are in the 1550 fader? Im assuming the series resistors are a special taper? Maybe Ill buy one just to mess around with too :D

Yes I will report back once parts arrive! :D