M466, M467 issue

petedonnellymusic

Apr 21, 2023, 9:37:31 PM4/21/23
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
Happy to be a part of this group.

I’ve just purchased a pair of comps. When I power them up the left side meter pins, and both the limiter lights are lit. All buttons turn their respective lights on when pushed in, but nothing changes the pinning I’ve described. See attached photo.

When testing w mic and mic pre I hear very low level fully distorted signal. When adjusting SENS from -10 there’s major clip as you can hear audio trying to break through.

Testing the other unit it passes signal just fine. Noise gate and compressor sound good. The desser I can’t tell yet if it’s functioning. The limiter is behaving strangely. Once I set threshold to engage it just jumps to full limit and signal disappears while being limited. It appears to drop level significantly. And there’s no gradual change. It just dives over the edge.

I checked the barrier strips to make sure the units were seated properly.

Feeling a bit bummed as I just bought these and was very excited to dive in.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or insights.

Pete

Anthony Kuzub

Apr 21, 2023, 10:26:38 PM4/21/23
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Good day

It could be one of 300 things- kinda hard to do over email.

If the modules are properly wired... and powered... (these are assumptions)

you can break the comp into two halves... audio and control  if the first half works well then it's the second half

to test the audio path - disable all the control
image.png

to do this - remove the 6-106 card
and see if it passes audio

when the compressor is ON and inserted  - you won't have any gain reduction -but it should pass audio end to end

 - push the VU meter button to "VU" and it should read your incoming signal
what goes in should come out based on the sensitivity setting - you will also have makeup gain as well

if all that is good then it's a control problem.

- chances are it's a bad tantalum cap OR a bad IC, or a bad switch or wire off or 300 potential other things

Happy troubleshooting.

Anthony

--
The WBSps.ca is run by Canadians who appreciate Well Built Stuff

Manuals: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKczBIcDgzZkstUjQ

Photos:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKd2JnQzlrckY2bWM
---

petedonnellymusic

Apr 22, 2023, 1:18:44 AM4/22/23
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Anthony hi.
Thank you so much. I opened up the unit and one of the cards had come loose. I reseated it and all good now!
I’m very relieved.

Happy to have your trouble shooting info.
Thanks again!

Anthony Kuzub

Apr 22, 2023, 8:14:14 AM4/22/23
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
That's common

At leased the person who built the rack put it cards  facing upwards.   The modules were never intended for horizontal use

Anthony