R2K Cool Grey Console R247 Module

CJ Stav

Jun 18, 2023, 2:12:56 PM6/18/23
to WB...@googlegroups.com

I am utilizing the 2 stereo outputs on the R247 module but am experiencing a high frequency noise (above 10khz) consistently. I have a strong feeling it is caused from a ground issue but I have troubleshooted and tried multiple ground locations. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from Mail for Windows

WBS Cool Grey R247.pdf

Anthony Kuzub

Jun 18, 2023, 2:19:52 PM6/18/23
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
What is it feeding?

Is it on both channels?

Is the thing you feeding balanced? If so skip the ground completely... It's not part of the signal

Anthony

--
The WBSps.ca is run by Canadians who appreciate Well Built Stuff

Manuals: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKczBIcDgzZkstUjQ

Photos:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKd2JnQzlrckY2bWM
---

Anthony Kuzub

Jun 18, 2023, 2:24:56 PM6/18/23
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Full manual here r247 is in there

Are you sure the noise isn't on the source feeding the selector module?

What is the source selected making noise?

Anthony

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SG8R3_uBeS1YxWZ49Dhfou5qgwMWfwGX/view?usp=drivesdk

Cameron Stav

Jun 18, 2023, 8:55:11 PM6/18/23
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
It is way more apparent on the left channel. I've troubleshooter and am 100% certain it's nothing before the selector module. The PGM bus is what I'm monitoring and that signal is clean. After the stereo out from the R247 it goes into a headphone amp, but I've removed that from the chain and the high freq noise is still there.

Anthony Kuzub

Jun 18, 2023, 11:04:44 PM6/18/23
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Good day

is it on both studio 1 and studio 2 outs?
is it on both headset outputs?
image.png
if the noise is on one but not the other it could be an output driver chip.
Depending on the vantage of the module - these may be socketed.   you can pull one up from an unused output and use it to drive whatever.

image.png

Does it go away when you press the mute button?
image.png

if it stays on when it's muted then something could be wrong with a 4053 switch OR one of the opamps associated with it.
image.png

you mentioned worse in the left than right - the talkback is on the right channel only.

is it their noise when a different source is selected?

Anthony

CJ Stav

Jun 19, 2023, 12:44:58 AM6/19/23
to WB...@googlegroups.com

It is on both studio 1 and 2 headset outs. Im unsure how to mute so I have not checked that but if I select any source it is still present. Ill have a look at swapping the chip tomorrow, that would be convenient. Maybe the talk back circuit is helping drain the noise on the right? Assuming its a ground issue. Thank you for helping me with this. I can deal with keeping levels low while recording most things but for drums in order to hear the sound being captured I need it loud enough in the cans to mask the acoustic kit.

Sent from Mail for Windows