POD-2 Issue 3 Schematic

Richard Furgason

May 29, 2024, 6:13:00 PMMay 29
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Hello,

I've got a POD-2 Issue 3 that is failing to latch any of the inputs.  Seems to work perfectly if I hold the input selector button down.

The manual available on google drive appears to be issue 5 and the schematic doesn't match what I'm looking at.

Any chance anyone here has access to an issue 3 schematic?  Or a suggestion on what the problem may be.

Thank you,

Richard

Anthony Kuzub

May 29, 2024, 6:19:43 PMMay 29
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Good day

The schematic will only give you so much

Is the GPI on your unit?

Anthony

--
The WBSps.ca is run by Canadians who appreciate Well Built Stuff

Manuals: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKczBIcDgzZkstUjQ

Photos:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKd2JnQzlrckY2bWM
---

Richard Furgason

May 29, 2024, 6:29:11 PMMay 29
to WB...@googlegroups.com
There is a control (GPI) connector, however I'm not using it.

Anthony Kuzub

May 29, 2024, 6:33:24 PMMay 29
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Is there a blob of solder or a short or a bent pin in there?

Anthony

Richard Furgason

May 29, 2024, 7:37:52 PMMay 29
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Not that I can see. Pulled the P4 connector all together, no change. Under side of the board looks clean.

I'm not sure what voltage I should be getting out of the regulator, but 1.5V does seem low to me.

Anthony Kuzub

May 29, 2024, 7:51:40 PMMay 29
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Good day

1.5v is low.  But also the rev 5 schematic won't be far off from the 3.

Can you take a picture of the PCB?

Look at the PIC microcontroller or a known chip.

It's voltage pins are on a data sheet somewhere.   If something has died it would pull all of those things down-ward.

Anthony

Anthony Kuzub

May 29, 2024, 7:57:24 PMMay 29
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
here is the ISS 1 schematic

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BlrW1nUlwD5-U-ZVS5DiSy-tCZitYIBW/view

It is likely the same in rev 3

Anthony

Anthony Kuzub

May 29, 2024, 8:02:43 PMMay 29
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society

Anthony Kuzub

May 29, 2024, 8:06:53 PMMay 29
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
the audio V+ and V- are not regulated  - so you can measure the pins 4 and 8 relative to chassis and you should see +/- 12V   (ish)

image.png

Richard Furgason

May 30, 2024, 2:41:25 PMMay 30
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Thank you Anthony.  The issue 2 schematic matches what I'm looking at.

Upon making some measurements, I'm questioning my electrical theory (definitely not my strong attribute)!

I've got:
  • ~29VAC out of the transformer
  • ~ +13V on one side of the bridge (V+)
  • ~ -24V on the other side of the bridge. (V-)
  • ~ +3.8V at VO regulator output (I had measured the 1.5V earlier incorrectly, would have been measuring the voltage drop over R49 with what I was doing)
I then see the same V+/- on the respective pins for the amps.

What I'm failing to understand is how I end up with -24V on V-.  Stored in the C1 cap?

I really appreciate your help with this.  I'm trying to fix this switcher to setup an R2K console in our shop with the goal of keeping our 9 other on-air consoles functioning!  While I have other switchers available... I'm calling this my prelude to fixing WB stuff!

Any ideas are appreciated.  If I have the regulator handy, I may just go for that... however, as you mentioned, something else could just be pulling it down.

Richard Furgason

May 30, 2024, 2:46:28 PMMay 30
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Photo of board is attached.

20240530_114513.jpg

Richard Furgason

May 30, 2024, 2:57:39 PMMay 30
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
I stand corrected.  When I measure for the +5V at P1, U1, U2, U3 etc.  It's bang on +5.0V

Warren Beck

May 30, 2024, 4:02:19 PMMay 30
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Hello Richard.

Firstly where in the world are you?  What is your station?

next - when you take a measurement what do you read going IN to the bridge?  On any of the I/C's one of the 5532, what voltages do you read off of pins 4 and 8??

you should see some loss out of the bridge.  If it is so lopsided, replace the bridge as an experiment with a quartet of 1n4001 or similar diodes, then take a new reading.

Regards,

Wb!

--
Regards,

Warren

Richard Furgason

May 30, 2024, 4:31:10 PMMay 30
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Hello Warren,

I'm in Kelowna, BC.  Larry King is my boss.  There's a good chance you know (of) him as he's been around a while.  We have 21 stations in the BC Interior under Bell Media (pending CRTC approval to be owned by Vista Radio), many of them still rocking some version of an R2K console!  Stumbling upon this group has been fantastic.  This back and forth is just gravy!

Into the bridge is 29VAC.
5532 Voltages are lopsided as well. +13V and -24V

Ill go for a bridge replacement and report back!

Thanks,

Richard

Warren Beck

May 31, 2024, 9:15:41 AMMay 31
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard.

OA I do know Larry, please do say hello.  I know him from classical music, Ricahrd Paul, etc..

This PODS is not really a Ward Beck product.  It was made by the people who bought the company from my dad.  Anthony is closer to that groupe of people than I, however if I can be of troubleshooting assistance, I am here!

Regards,

Wb!

--
The WBSps.ca is run by Canadians who appreciate Well Built Stuff

Manuals: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKczBIcDgzZkstUjQ

Photos:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKd2JnQzlrckY2bWM
---

Regards,

Warren

Anthony Kuzub

May 31, 2024, 9:37:59 AMMay 31
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Good day

Check d5 and d6.  If those diodes are shorted. Or blown there will be no voltage drop after them giving you -23 instead of an anticipated reduced voltage.

Anthony

image (1).png