Ward Beck RS 2200 Console

danand...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2022, 3:16:13 AM9/26/22
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Hi,
I am a new member to this group and very thankful for its existence.  I have recently purchased a WBS R2200 console. Ex Radio New Zealand unit, it appears to be fully intact but is in need of some work. A full recap at the least.

Thankfully the previous owner had all of the documentation and schematics so that should help me on my journey .

If anyone is in need of the following documentation let me know and I can scan these and post them somewhere for group member access.  If these documents already exist somewhere apologies for the double post.

M490B- Mic input module
M490D- line input module
M453A - cue amplifier
M479- Dual auxiliary module
M495- Stereo Monitor Module
M498 8x1 stereo switcher module
M490F- stereo input module
M497 Dual master module
M625B- Power supply

Regards
Dan

Andrew Noonan

Sep 26, 2022, 9:46:15 AM9/26/22
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan

Any indication what year the console was built? I personally built at least 10 or more R1200 and R2000 back in 1979/80 for BCNZ (wasn't aware of an "R2200" model Radio, so perhaps that's newer?)

Not much I can add other than, nice to hear these are still in service somehow.

Best
Andrew

--
The WBSps.ca is run by Canadians who appreciate Well Built Stuff

Manuals: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKczBIcDgzZkstUjQ

Photos:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKd2JnQzlrckY2bWM
---

Dan and Co.

Sep 26, 2022, 5:01:00 PM9/26/22
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

The test reports included in the documentation date it to Radio NZ, Wellington 1987.
I'll post some photos of the console shortly.
I may be in over my head experience wise with this project so I hope you don't mind if I chime in here from time to time with questions?
Thanks!

Regards
Dan

warren beck

Sep 28, 2022, 10:35:02 AM9/28/22
to WB...@googlegroups.com
I remember Andrew being the king of R-series at the factory.  Putting them on his bench, and wiring madly.  I would always bug him to take me for fries.....

Wb!

Oct 12, 2022, 8:20:25 PM10/12/22
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Hi Andrew,
I have got the console back to my studio. I've removed the channel strips and given the faceplates and buttons a clean. It is looking glorious!  All of the original wiring seems to be intact and no obvious Frankenstein mods have been done.  Compared to how things are built nowadays this thing is a tank and the craftsmanship is amazing!
I am hesitant to hook up the power supply and turn it on as the previous owner said the last time he did that he noticed a component smoking somewhere in the meter bridge.
Do you have any advice on how I should proceed with verifying the consoles functionality or what components should get changed out straight away to avoid any catastrophic failures.
Should I get the main power supply looked at and parts replaced before even attempting to power up?

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, at this point I am better at following instructions than troubleshooting and looking for faults.

Regards
Dan