Configuration for the furthest Bluetooth range

Bryan

Jan 2, 2022, 6:47:06 PM1/2/22
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Hello,
This post is not about changing out the Bluetooth antenna in the radio.

I have found that when the walkie is synced with the radio, the Bluetooth coverage around the radio is very limited.  When the walkie is connected to the cellphone, the Bluetooth coverage around the cellphone is much larger.

Please let me know if the following is correct.  Here is my setup:
First I ran a factory default on the radio removing all sync'ed devices from the radio.  For the best Bluetooth range I have found that the radio should be synced to your cellphone or tablet.  Then the cellphone should be sync''ed to the walkie, BMH-78 (not the radio).
The only problem with this setup is the BMH-78 walkie does not show the frequencies on it's display when it's not connected to the radio.  And thus, I cannot toggle the frequencies from the walkie.

Further notes:
Now, if I also sync the walkie to the radio (in addition to my cellphone), then it seems like the walkie bypasses the cellphone connection and wants to talk with the radio only.  Is this true?  Now I'm back to square one with a short Bluetooth range.

Conclusion:
It appears that I can get excellent range if the walkie is connected to my cellphone but not connected to the radio.  But this is at the cost of not having full functionality of the walkie.

Am I missing something, or is this correct?
Thanks,
Bryan, KF1D

Marnoch Standen

Jan 3, 2022, 1:27:16 AM1/3/22
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bryan

The microphones and BHM-78 ALL have to be connected via the phone and NOT the radio.

Connection to the radio has problems of bad audio and a reset required.

You didn't say what version of firmware you have as there is a Beta version 0.5.1 that increases the tools for the BHM+78.

Hope this helps you..

Thanks for your findings.

Min Standen G0JMS

--
You can reply in normal email or send via normal email by using
vero...@googlegroups.com

Bryan

Jan 3, 2022, 10:51:12 AM1/3/22
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Hi Min,
Yes, I have the latest beta version on my phone and also on the BHM-78.  It's nice that the software on the phone now allows for more controls from the walkie's programmable buttons.  However, the walkie does not show the frequencies.  Also, the phone is not responding to the walkies programmable buttons.  Attached is a picture of the phone display.  Whether I'm in single or dual mode, the frequencies are never displayed now.

Bryan

No frequencies displayed.jpg

Wen Aklor

Jan 3, 2022, 11:34:56 AM1/3/22
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Hello!
Where can I download and how do I install the VR-N7500 and BHM-78 software?

Pozdrawiam Wen sp2wn

Marnoch Standen

Jan 3, 2022, 12:45:28 PM1/3/22
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Let me know if you can see and use the file 2000001.apk
That is the latest Beta version that I have been using for several months a d it adds more things to the BHM-78 microphone.

Min Standen G0JMS

Bryan

Jan 3, 2022, 1:17:23 PM1/3/22
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
For the beta version, see this thread:  https://groups.google.com/g/Veron7500/c/KA0oTcqiQ9Y

Min,
Do you see the frequencies on your walkie?  I used to, when the walkie was connected to the radio.  But now that I have it only connected to the cellphone, I no longer see the frequencies on the walkie.

Thanks,
Bryan

Bryan

Jan 12, 2022, 6:13:03 PM1/12/22
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
I've done further testing.  And it seems to me, that if the BHM-78 is connected to the radio, then you get the full functionality of the walkie.  However, if the walkie is only connected to the phone, you do not get most of the walkie functionality.  See picture above.

At least this is what I am experiencing.  Has anyone experienced full functionality of the walkie when only connected to the cell phone?

Thanks,
Bryan

Marnoch Standen

Jan 13, 2022, 5:07:40 AM1/13/22
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Are you using the latest version version of firmware released in October 2021 which adds extra freatures and there should be a document saying what they are in the files section of Google groups.

BT has to go via the app to start with or there is issues with audio.

Min Standen G0JMS

Jeffrey Fritz

Jan 13, 2022, 8:50:51 AM1/13/22
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
The ability to use the VGC VR-N7500 remotely via Bluetooth is the reason that I purchased the transceiver. It would be great to be out on our deck in good weather and remotely operate a radio located in my ham shack. Alas, that isn't possible as the radio's Bluetooth range is very limited.

The range of the VR-N7500 pales in comparison to virtually every other Bluetooth device that I own. It makes little sense for me (but not necessarily for others) to have to sit just a few feet away from the radio in order to operate it. I might as well sit at the radio itself and operate it directly. (Yes, I have upgraded the firmware in both the radio and the BHM-78.)

I suspect, but can’t prove, that VGC elected to place an older, less powerful version Bluetooth module in the VR-N7500. Newer version Bluetooth modules have significantly better range and that decision may have hamstrung the transceiver when it comes to Bluetooth range.

Some may recall that I modified my VR-N7500 to add an external Bluetooth antenna to the transceiver. That has helped somewhat. However I am still very range limited compared to many other Bluetooth devices that I own.

This isn’t a flame. (Do we even use that word anymore?) It is merely an observation and a disappointment. The meager Bluetooth range that the VR-N7500 has is the reason that I no longer use the radio.

73,

Jeff, WB1AAL

Bryan

Jan 13, 2022, 11:39:41 PM1/13/22
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Hi Min,
I have no issue with the audio.  And yes, everything is to the latest revision.  Here is the issue: when the walkie is connected to the cellphone only, I do not get the frequency readout on the walkie.  I also don't get the new functions of the walkie.  I have a picture in the second post, above.

The walkie only works correctly when paired with the radio (which I don't want to do).

Thanks for any help you can give.