iOS vs Android, what's missing on iOS?

Dmitry M

Apr 4, 2022, 3:20:38 PM4/4/22
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Hey folks,

Thinking of picking this radio up. I really like the idea of hiding it as my dashboard is getting cluttered.

I'm an iOS user, so I'm wondering what is missing on the iOS version of the app vs Android?

Also, is it possible to change memory banks from the hardwired microphone (1-16 to 18-36 for example)?

Thanks

Dmitry

Min G0JMS

Apr 5, 2022, 9:27:39 AM4/5/22
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Hi. Dimitry

Thinking of picking this radio up. I really like the idea of hiding it as my dashboard is getting cluttered. The radio will take a lot of bashing as I have a couple on motorcycles in the top boxes. I do recommend ventillation around the body as it can get warm.

I'm an iOS user, so I'm wondering what is missing on the iOS version of the app vs Android?  There is so much differnce I not going to start but I wil add you to the group where all the documents are held.. the makers havent advance the iOS side due to restrictions.

Also, is it possible to change memory banks from the hardwired microphone (1-16 to 18-36 for example)? The answer is no as the radio stores 16 of the memories from when last operated and the phone app holds the banks of memory channels.

Min G0JMS

Dmitry M

Apr 5, 2022, 10:51:48 AM4/5/22
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Thanks Min, much appreciated. I've seen references to your documentation previously, it's good to find the source!

I just installed the iOS version of the app and it appears to support APRS now. At least the mapping functionality is there, so I assume APRS is now fully supported.

I keep seeing references to some "restrictions", I'm curious what they are. In terms of limitation, are you able to name one or two biggest differences between Apple and Android functionality?

I know people seem to favor getting a cheap android device, but for me, as an iOS user it kind of defeats the purpose.

Finally one last small question -- I've looked through your docs and various YouTube videos but I can't seem to find a really basic ability -- am I able to enter an arbitrary simplex frequency through either android or iOS app? I intend to use the radio in my 4x4 and different groups use different simplex frequencies. Going through a lengthy process to establish a channel is probably a non starter for me.

Dmitry

Marnoch Standen

Apr 5, 2022, 11:21:19 AM4/5/22
to Vero...@googlegroups.com

Dmitry

APRS has always been there and it takes the position from the phone….if the phone goes flat the radio still sends it’s last position it had. Its not as fully functional as the Android version.

There are a lot of features that the Android system does over the iOS sorry but not got the hours to type the differences.

The radio is designed for Amateur radio use but will extend into the PMR radio spectrum 446 MHz which in the UK is licence free (best to use low power due to restrictions and regulations in that band).

Putting in a channel is via the phone app and its simple and if you’re a licenced amateur radio operator it would be no problem.

Min G0JMS

Dmitry M

Apr 5, 2022, 1:01:56 PM4/5/22
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band

> There are a lot of features that the Android system does over the iOS sorry but not got the hours to type the differences.

Do you mind highlighting one or two? Perhaps that would be a deal breaker for you personally?

Appreciate the response Min.

I think I'm going to grab this radio anyway just to see what it can do. The vendor has a generous return policy.

Dmitry VE7KFA

Bill Devanney

Feb 10, 2023, 4:15:46 PM2/10/23
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
As of Feb 2023 the iOS version is pretty much caught up with the Android version with one big exception:  no PTT control on iOS.  So to talk in the iOS world you either have to use the supplied wired microphone, or buy the BHM-78 or BMH-75 Bluetooth microphones, or buy the TYT BS-TTT Bluetooth finger ring (but be aware the finger ring only has a range of ~2 meters).   Whereas the Android app has the PTT button right on the map screen.  So you don't need to buy anything else.

I bought a used Pixel 2 smartphone for this purpose, it can connect reliably through 2 walls in my house (3 walls = very spotty).  This range fits my application where I want to house the N7500 in the attic next to an antenna without having to run wires.

Other minor gaps -- the iOS app doesn't have the Morse code or DTMF decoder gizmos, if you care about those.  Besides that, it looks like everything is equivalent.  The menu structure in either app is quite opaque -- the paradigm I finally understood is menu items related to the radio hardware tend to be together, while menu items related to APRS traffic or channel profiles tend to be together elsewhere.  And menu items for APRS traffic over the internet is separate from menu items for radio traffic.  Sort of.  Not always. Good luck...

Bill W7WLD