iGate acting like a digipeater

Bryan

Nov 17, 2022, 6:04:14 PM11/17/22
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Hi,
At times my iGate is acting like a digipeater.  Attached is a screen shot from aprs.fi.  The originating station KF1D-9 is sending an APRS position to Wide1-1,Wide2-1.  The iGate station, KF1D-1, receives it and then sends it back out.
Any thoughts on why my station is digipeating when it should just be logging the position to the server?

Please see the attachment.  Notice the position is going "via" KF1D-1.

Thanks,
Bryan, KF1D

Picture1.png

Bryan

Nov 17, 2022, 6:43:24 PM11/17/22
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
A little bit more information:  I am using the VR-N7500 as the iGate and have tried different radios as the originating station with the same end results.  Also, I previously had a raspberry pi with a soundcard as the iGate and did not experience this problem.  It seems as though it is the VR-N7500 iGate that is creating the "via KF1D-1*" issue.

Marnoch Standen

Nov 18, 2022, 7:10:04 AM11/18/22
to Vero...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bryan

My thoughts are that your home station KF1D-1 is not worried about the call sign and because KF1D-9 has Wide2-1 it will forward it twice and the repeat message will be stripped and then stop going any further.

If you changed it to Wide2-3 it would go to more time before stopping.

Your present the setting is the recommended for APRS.

Just looked on Aprs.fi and I can see its beaconing every 2 minutes on -9 (what is the battery supplying the radio as its looking low voltage after 22:28…)  majority of the beacons are going via N3LEE.

I would not worry. The APRS is a bit crude in the way it works with the network taking the first signal and forgetting the late ones. I used to do Packet Radio when there was a control of TX and RX, but not in APRS.

The radio and APP is a bit crude and the developers have improved it over time when issues are seen.

Hope this helps.

Min G0JMS

--
You can reply in normal email or send via normal email by using
vero...@googlegroups.com

Bryan

Nov 18, 2022, 10:04:34 AM11/18/22
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Hi Min,
Right.  It appears that the app is looking at the standard APRS setting of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 coming from the originating radio (KF1D-9) and digipeating it (as seen by the *) even if it receives the position report as the iGate.  If the developers are reading this, this is not correct.  iGates should not be digipeating the positions.  And yes, I would not try WIDE2-3 as this would compound the issue further.  As for the 12V, this is a side issue, as KF1D-9 was in the car and the car was turned off during the test.

Thanks for you reply,
Bryan, KF1D

Marnoch Standen

Nov 18, 2022, 11:17:29 AM11/18/22
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bryan

Noted the voltage drop as I have been though a charging issue with a Honda HRV which only charges when the headlights are turned on.  It's due to the car management system.
They want £150 to diagnose it and I've told them the problem... They will not allow me to speak to a mechanic WTF...

ok aprs ... I had them reversed and you could stop tx by changing the memory to NO tx and it should not act as a repeater then only using the app into the network.

Let me know how you get on with this..

Min G0JMS

Bryan

Nov 18, 2022, 2:42:10 PM11/18/22
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Hi Min,
Good luck with the charging issue.
I think I will leave it on TX/RX mode because I don't want it to be a RX only iGate.  That causes issues with messaging features like EMAIL-2 and SMSGTE.  In fact, that's one of the reasons why I've operated an iGate with the raspberry pi for years now - so my neighborhood can have a fully functioning RX/TX APRS iGate.

Thanks,
Bryan, KF1D

Joshua Mesilane

Nov 18, 2022, 4:10:50 PM11/18/22
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
If you want to stop your station digipeating, turn Maximum Forwarding Times in  the user settings to zero.

Sent from my iPhone

On 19 Nov 2022, at 6:42 am, Bryan <rad6...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Min,

Bryan

Nov 19, 2022, 9:34:23 AM11/19/22
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Thank you.  That fixed it.  It is no longer digipeating.

Bryan, KF1D

Min G0JMS

Nov 20, 2022, 10:15:56 AM11/20/22
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Just to confirm was it turning the settings to Zero the answer?

Min G0JMS

Bryan

Nov 20, 2022, 11:44:46 AM11/20/22
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Yes, I needed to set the Maximum Forwarding Times to zero.  Now the radio acts as an iGate only.  When it was set to an integer other than zero, it would send the packet back out and this was not needed nor was it wanted for an iGate.
Also, the Time to Live is also set to zero.

Marnoch Standen

Nov 20, 2022, 12:18:17 PM11/20/22
to Vero...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for letting me know the method you found that works..

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Veron7500/a8088d04-3e28-4339-ae6c-483356959f35n%40googlegroups.com.