Hoping to get an identification for a cocoon

Hanson, Trish

Nov 25, 2015, 7:48:54 AM11/25/15
to Vermont Entomological Society (VES), Burnham, Mary, dkiel (dkiel1@hotmail.com), Don Miller (entdon@gmail.com), Scott Griggs (vtleps@aol.com)

Can anyone help with this identification and possibly notes for overwintering?

Message from Sue C. Morse:

We would be most grateful if you would weigh in on the maker of this lovely leaf-wrapped cocoon.  It was sent to us by a customer of ours wanting help with its identification.  We suspect it is either a luna or Saturnidae of some kind, but we would love to have your expert opinion.  It was found newly dropped from a tree down onto a covered compost pile in Lincoln earlier this month.  I have kept it cool, but not below freezing since then - inside of a box where it can be in a dark environment.  Bobbie and I found an email account of where one expert who gently hung these cocoons from a line, and watched them emerge safely at the appropriate time.

InsectTT9017_Moth Cocoon_NID_Lincoln VT.jpg
InsectTT9018_Moth Cocoon_NID_Lincoln VT.jpg

Kent McFarland

Nov 25, 2015, 7:58:35 AM11/25/15
to vermont-entomo...@googlegroups.com
This looks like a Luna Moth to me. We to collect records of all Giant Slikmoth observations - see http://val.vtecostudies.org/projects/vermont-giant-silkmoth-survey/.
I have raised silkmoths in my cold garage. I place them in a plastic box with screen top hung from the screen. It's always interesting to see if a moth emerges in spring or a parasite(s).

Kent

Kent McFarland
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055