Egg case identification

Charlie Montgomery

Oct 23, 2017, 12:37:37 PM10/23/17
to Vermont Entomological Society (VES)

Can anyone help identify what's going to emerge from this, and when?  It's on a piece of outdoor furniture, in Shelburne.
Thanks much,
Charlie

Micahel Sabourin

Oct 23, 2017, 4:57:07 PM10/23/17
to vermont-entomo...@googlegroups.com
looks like a silk moth cocoon - I'm thinking Polyphemus

--

---

JoAnne Russo

Oct 23, 2017, 7:00:46 PM10/23/17
to vermont-entomo...@googlegroups.com
And emergence will be next spring.

Sent from my iPad

Charlie Montgomery

Jun 26, 2018, 7:53:36 AM6/26/18
to Vermont Entomological Society (VES)
Thanks to you both for your responses last fall.  I was unfortunately out of town when the moth escaped its cocoon, so didn't get to see that.  But this appeared in our garden.  It doesn't look like pictures of a silk moth, so maybe this is unrelated to the cocoon?  Can you help identify this moth?  Good or bad to have in garden?
Thanks,
Charlie

On Monday, October 23, 2017 12:37 PM, Charlie Montgomery <chmo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Can anyone help identify what's going to emerge from this, and when?  It's on a piece of outdoor furniture, in Shelburne.
Thanks much,
Charlie

--

---

---
IMG_4696.JPG

suki russo

Jun 26, 2018, 9:16:08 AM6/26/18
to Vermont Entomological Society (VES)
Definitely a Sphinx moth, in my opinion all moths are good! You might want to plant an extra tomato plant or two, I believe it's Manduca sexta, the caterpillar is known as the tobacco hornworm.

JoAnne

JoAnne Russo
Saxtons River, VT

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018, 7:53:41 AM EDT, Charlie Montgomery <chmo...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Larry Clarfeld

Jun 26, 2018, 9:25:08 AM6/26/18
to vermont-entomo...@googlegroups.com
Hi JoAnne,

My understanding was that sphinx moths typically pupate underground. Is this not always the case? Or are there some species that break this rule?

Thanks,
Larry

---

suki russo

Jun 26, 2018, 9:33:37 AM6/26/18
to vermont-entomo...@googlegroups.com
He attached a picture, I was identifying the adult moth in the picture. Sorry for the confusion!
JoAnne

JoAnne Russo
Saxtons River, VT
On Tuesday, June 26, 2018, 9:25:09 AM EDT, Larry Clarfeld <lcla...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi JoAnne,

My understanding was that sphinx moths typically pupate underground. Is this not always the case? Or are there some species that break this rule?

Thanks,
Larry

Kent McFarland

Jun 26, 2018, 9:39:14 AM6/26/18
to vermont-entomo...@googlegroups.com
ALso, if you don't use it already, we'd love to see all your observations in our project called iNaturalist Vermont. Check it out at https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/vermont-atlas-of-life
Thanks!
Kent

____________________________

Kent McFarland
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
802.649.1431 x201
@KPMcFarland

---

Larry Clarfeld

Jun 26, 2018, 10:17:23 AM6/26/18
to vermont-entomo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for clarifying, the attachment was not included in the email I received so I only saw the photo of the pupa.

Best,
Larry

---

suki russo