Business ecosystem orchestrator

David Meggitt

Jan 28, 2010, 2:20:54 PM1/28/10
to Value Networks
Surprisingly, I find myself to be the world's first publicly declared
"Business ecosystem orchestrator," with a "business ecosystem
orchestration" role.

Does anyone want to join this new profession?! It will be fun defining
it.Any offers?

David

Charles Ehin

Jan 28, 2010, 5:37:41 PM1/28/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
David,

A "business ecosystem orchestrator" is a person who helps organizations and networks find and expand their unique "sweet spot."

I'm with you!

Charlie

Charles (Kalev) Ehin, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of Management
The Gore School of Business
Westminster College, Salt Lake City
kal...@msn.com
www.UnManagement.com

Stewart Levine

Jan 28, 2010, 6:20:05 PM1/28/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com

…makes sure the system is well nourished and fertilized as needed…

Stewart

David Meggitt

Jan 28, 2010, 6:48:39 PM1/28/10
to Value Networks
Thanks for kicking this about!

Maybe the end customer should also be included....

A "business ecosystem orchestrator" is a person who helps
organizations and networks find and expand their unique "sweet spot"

in order that constituent companies compete to unite disparate
contributors to create powerful total solutions or experiences. He /
she ensures the system is well nourished and fertilized so that
individual people are honoured for their respective contributions and
feel confident in adapting existing roles or adopting new ones in
serving the whole.

Bit of a mouthful... but looks exciting.

On Jan 28, 11:20 pm, "Stewart Levine" <resolutionwo...@msn.com> wrote:
> .makes sure the system is well nourished and fertilized as needed.

> Stewart

geoffr...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2010, 7:25:58 PM1/28/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Amygdala
Isn't interesting we are recognising whole and bits of the human system as functions that we can replicate as vocations. Amygdala wouldbe too hard to pronounce and too difficult to understand, it is indeed a big job and presumptuous.

An observation

cheers
Geoffrey

Please consider the environment before printing my email.

http://onlinecashflow.com/selfhelp

David Meggitt

Jan 29, 2010, 5:19:00 AM1/29/10
to Value Networks
Very fruitful connections, Geoffrey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdala for example.

Thanks for sharing. Some thoughts..

Maybe we could replace "functions" by "role plays?"
Is the seat of decision making and activity - emotion?
Are Amygdalae orchestrators?

David

On Jan 29, 12:25 am, geoffreym...@gmail.com wrote:
> *Amygdala
> *Isn't interesting we are recognising whole and bits of the human system as

> functions that we can replicate as vocations. Amygdala wouldbe too hard to
> pronounce and too difficult to understand, it is indeed a big job and
> presumptuous.
>
> An observation
>
> cheers
> Geoffrey

> > .
> > groups.google.com/group/value-networks?hl=en.
>
> > > --

> > .
> > groups.google.com/group/value-networks?hl=en.

kpkfusion

Jan 29, 2010, 10:07:31 AM1/29/10
to Value Networks
I always think of the transformational need as a new discipline of
"network competency", less about roles and more about the state of
understanding.

Kim Patrick Kobza

Michael _P

Jan 29, 2010, 6:50:41 AM1/29/10
to Value Networks
Hi David,

I am not sure how you define "business ecosystem" and its
orchestration but the things I am working on at this time sounds
similar at the enterprise level - orchestration of business
capabilities based on the business architecture; orchestration as the
major mechanism for producing new business capabilities and values.
This orchestration is impossible without intangible interactions
between participants, i.e. it firs into the Value Network model.

I would be interested in working with you.

- Michael

Charles Ehin

Jan 29, 2010, 1:51:25 PM1/29/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com

David,

I define the business ecosystem in http://www.springer.com/business/business+for+professionals/book/978-0-387-98193-2 as the organizational context/environment that supports or represses the expansion of an organization's or network's "sweet spot or shared-access domain."

In the most simplistic terms the "organizational sweet spot" is the area where the formal part of an organization/network overlaps with the informal side. That’s where most of the productive work and innovation takes place. Like the informal networks of an organization the sweet spot cannot be managed because its activities are emergent/self-organizing. Thus, a business ecosystem (which is the only thing that can be managed/adjusted) needs to be continuously “tweaked” so that it supports the expansion of the sweet spot instead of hindering it.

Cheers,

Charlie
Jan 30, 2010, 2:29:57 AM1/30/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Yes this is very exciting and right on track David. By way of offering a live example we are achieving serious engagement on our current assignment by crafting with a series of teams – creating and acclimatizing around 200 senior managers to a couple of 60 feet x 8 feet - co-created tapestries - of their business eco-system. We are thereby transforming those amongst them into designers, choreographers of their own destiny. By shining light onto these value laden ‘sweet spots’ their confidence rockets, light bulbs glow for the first time in years...they feel respected, honored and – well – you are 100% spot on...

John Caswell

Jan 30, 2010, 2:31:15 AM1/30/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Count me in...

Michael _P

Jan 30, 2010, 7:48:12 AM1/30/10
to Value Networks
Charlie,

it depends... on the definition of eco-system. I think that
orchestration is about realising a process while finding "unique
"sweet spot" " is just an accidental secondary consequence of the
orchestration. A "business ecosystem orchestrator" exists not to help

"organizations and networks find and expand their unique "sweet spot""

but make the business eco-system work.

Thus, the "business ecosystem orchestrator" is a business eco-system's
Governance and Management, i.e. the set of policies and policy
enforcements respectively, it is not a person.

- Michael

On Jan 28, 10:37 pm, "Charles Ehin" <kal...@msn.com> wrote:
> David,
>
> A "business ecosystem orchestrator" is a person who helps organizations and networks find and expand their unique "sweet spot."
>
> I'm with you!
>
> Charlie
>
> Charles (Kalev) Ehin, Ph.D.
> Emeritus Professor of Management
> The Gore School of Business
> Westminster College, Salt Lake City

> kal...@msn.com<mailto:kal...@msn.com>www.UnManagement.com<http://www.unmanagement.com/>

catherine mcquaid

Jan 30, 2010, 12:26:22 PM1/30/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Count me in as well.

Catherine McQuaid
Big Game Hunting

Jan 30, 2010, 1:35:37 PM1/30/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com

I am also interested

Dr. Cindy Gordon

Due to my new research/work on crowdsourcing constructs and collaboration leaders – which I suspect are doing things similar to your language.. so good to compare thoughts on

My participation will be virtual

Dr. Cindy Gordon

Cindy Gordon

CEO

Helix Commerce

647 477-6254

Charles Ehin

Jan 30, 2010, 2:37:17 PM1/30/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com

Michael,

I have no problem with what you are suggesting. The orchestration can be carried out by one or a team of people. I, like you, prefer the latter.

Charlie

Jan 30, 2010, 2:25:26 PM1/30/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com

Interesting … I just had  (literally, just walked in the door) an hour-long conversation with a fellow resident of my small town about the role he wants to play in the town. Although he used quite different language, I would have to say that he wants to be the community ecosystem orchestrator. Being a town selectman (which he is) doesn’t give him enough latitude to have all the kinds of conversations that he wants to have in order to generate meaningful relationships, to help the networks in town to  find and expand their sweet spots for collaboration.

Thanks for the insight, everyone on this thread!

David Meggitt

Jan 30, 2010, 2:53:00 PM1/30/10
to Value Networks
I'm glad the thread is proving useful, which seems as though someone
has been "landed" with progressing the idea of "business ecosystem
orchestrator."
Is it a person or a governance system? Maybe we will see.

I owe it to the group to illustrate a business ecosystem, and to
define it for now as:

An economic community supported by a foundation of interacting
organizations and individuals--the organisms of the business world.
This economic community produces goods and services of value to
customers, who are themselves members of the ecosystem. The member
organizations also include suppliers, lead producers, competitors, and
other stakeholders. Over time, they co-evolve their capabilities and
roles, and tend to align themselves with the directions set by one or
more central companies. Those companies holding leadership roles may
change over time, but the function of ecosystem leader is valued by
the community because it enables members to move toward shared visions
to align their investments and to find mutually supportive roles.
Refer James Moore, "The Death of Competition."

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_ecosystem

The illustration I produced is here:

http://tinyurl.com/ykfnnxv

Incidentally, I appreciate that "The Keystone Advantage," a more
recent publication, builds on Moore. Also, that Don Tapscott et al in
"Digital Capital," whilst praising Moore's "blinding insight," feel
the ecosystem metaphor is too biological where animal instict rules
rather than "human thought, judgement and intentional actions." This
may be true, but Moore's book does not read like that. Hence, for me,
even now, a valid foundation upon which to build.

A thought for John (who referred to "glow") and Charlie (with "sweet
spots), Professor Lynda Gratton at London Business School has written
a lovely book called simply "Glow!" I had a word with her last year,
but it would be great if you touched base with her. "Glow" is about
individuals, so the "sweet spot" is a collection of "glows" as John is
finding!!

More thoughts from me next week on all contributions.

David

David Meggitt

Jan 30, 2010, 3:07:35 PM1/30/10
to Value Networks
Hi Patti,

Can you hold on to the language your fellow resident used? I'm sure we
will need to translate some of what is co-evolved here to every day
terms.
But more on language later.
David

On Jan 30, 7:25 pm, "Patti Anklam" <pa...@byeday.net> wrote:
> Interesting . I just had  (literally, just walked in the door) an hour-long

> conversation with a fellow resident of my small town about the role he wants
> to play in the town. Although he used quite different language, I would have
> to say that he wants to be the community ecosystem orchestrator. Being a
> town selectman (which he is) doesn't give him enough latitude to have all
> the kinds of conversations that he wants to have in order to generate
> meaningful relationships, to help the networks in town to  find and expand
> their sweet spots for collaboration.
>
> Thanks for the insight, everyone on this thread!

Bev Cummings

Jan 30, 2010, 5:05:35 PM1/30/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com

Count me in too!

Beverley Cummings

Know2Inform Consulting

Phone: 03 6267 2225

Mobile: 0409 500 813

White BG Medium

Jan 31, 2010, 12:49:38 AM1/31/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
David, I can speak to the case here again.  Few will be unfamiliar with what I write.

At an important level we are ensuring it’s more than a single person - It’s a way of thinking - the responsibility of everyone. In the co-creation of it as an architecture it became owned by everyone. However to your point it will need governance of sorts to avoid a slow death. It will need responsible ‘persons’ with shared skills across a number of parts within the Eco-System. Change will not be the natural course of events here.

So we have co-created with them an ‘orchestration team’. Cross-functional in every sense - with principles, values and guidance that once again they have helped to ‘visualize’ into the Architecture of the Eco-System. We have referred to this as Design in the Roger Martin sense of the word. I have also consistently used the word ‘choreography’ as to how all the actors and their acts now need to be performed, bring varied talents to the table as required and in line with VN class thinking.

I would very much like to meet Professor Gratton David and perhaps you may ping her details off thread? Thanks as ever.

Cindy Gordon

Jan 31, 2010, 12:20:14 PM1/31/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com

There is research in Jamming constructs from Improvisational Jazz as role, as well as Improvisational Theatre as well as in Communities of Practice…

These concepts are not all new… new language evolving and new metaphors

We also can find insights in Directors of plays as well

Can be confusing to business grounded executives if language is not simple as well

Cindy Gordon

CEO

Helix Commerce

647 477-6254

Jan 31, 2010, 1:05:58 PM1/31/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com

Let me contribute to our discussion by citing some excerpts from a paper of mine that will be published in February in two parts by KnowledgeBoard.com entitled, “The duality of Organizational Effectiveness.”

“Every organization has a sweet spot or multiple sweet spots (http://www.springer.com/business/business+for+professionals/book/978-0-387-98193-2). In most organizations, however, the sweet spot is rather small. We need to keep in mind that at the sweet spot most activities are based on reciprocal relationships, valued differences, and respected individual identities.

So what are the primary choices we have when it comes to organizational ecologies or contexts? In my first management book, Unleashing Intellectual Capital (http://www.unmanagement.com/0), I placed organizational structures into just two very broad general categories: controlled access systems and shared-access systems. In this classification scheme, a controlled-access system, whether tall or flat, is an organizational framework wherein one individual or a very limited number of people exclusively control access to all major resources including the workforce. All other members of the organization must first get approval from these top people before any of the assets can be used or invested.

In contrast, in a shared-access system all organizational members have considerable autonomy in decision-making and in resource allocations including hiring and firing of people. In a shared-access system, expert power instead of position power dominates. Thus, major emphasis is placed on situational leadership, open book management, and self-organization in solving problems or in pursuing opportunities. Here, personal commitment rather than compliance is the dominant success factor and most people are productively engaged in their work.

Does that mean that all controlled-access organizational ecologies should be abandoned? Not really. Enterprises are and can continue to successfully operate in a controlled-access mode. However, what the leaders of such organizations need to understand is that if they want to function in an even more productive and innovative manner they need to eventually develop a shared-access organizational ecology that is not an extension of the controlled-access continuum.

Best,

Charlie

Charles (Kalev) Ehin, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of Management
The Gore School of Business
Westminster College, Salt Lake City
kal...@msn.com

Feb 2, 2010, 7:48:28 AM2/2/10
to Value Networks
Hi all,

Thank you so much for your thoughts and interest.
It's great to see familiar faces and new ones, welcome!
All this is an ongoing journey of discovery, (basd on the value
network principles captured so eloquently by Verna in her book "The
Future of Knowledge - increasing prosperity through value networks"
And what a great subtitle! It's recommended reading for newbies and
also do search through this list-serv. There are some amazing
contributions, insights and passions to peruse.

To hand, I thought is best to grasp the nettle and have another "go"
at defining Business Ecosystem Orchestrator, but this time,
incorporating elements of all your contributions.
To set the scene, for me, we are addressing human activity. Some may
disagree, which is fine.

"A business ecosystem orchestrator is normally part of an orchestral
team which formally or informally strategically guides, cultivates and
nourishes the sweet spot activities that valuing and glowing
contributors participate in when understanding and co-creating a
total experience for its customers. (In short, a business ecosystem
orchestrator XXXX in order to YYYY such that ZZZZ)

The team is supported by a business architecture that is tuned in to
providing the major mechanisms for achieving a cost effective and
optimal distribution of formal processes that respond to the social
networks that bring life, and meaning to human activity. The business
ecosystem comprises both formal process networks and informal networks
and interacts with multiple communities of interests. Ethical
principles take priority over detailed rules.

As a human endeavour, orchestration will exhibit gender
characteristics (an Adam and Eve origin!). Some may prefer to use the
term choreographer to evoke the sense of the merry dance of discovery
and improvisation in emergent situations as distinct from those that
are more ordered.

Overall, all participants will sense that their contributions are
honoured and that they are valued.

Involvement can be through a range of techniques, but to qualify, the
whole picture, set by agreed yet changeable boundaries, is made
available to all playing a role.

The key quality of an orchestrator or choreographer is to be
continually open to others, fearless of others, detached from outcome
in being of service to others, and free of ego.

New ways of leading and managing need to be discovered to achieve this
state of being.

Examples of behaviours and activities that partially embody the role
of business ecosystem orchestrator are entrepreneurs, producers,
spiritual leaders.

Examples that are commonly attributed to the role are general
contractors who rely on formal relationships and Presidents of
democracies who aspire to combine an appreciation of uncertainty with
a mix of formal process, envisioning, influencing, following.

Inherently, everyone is a business ecosystem orchestrator, which
includes all mothers and single parenting males.

Business ecosystem orchestrators are masters of language and its
influence on behaviour. (Counts me out!)
They are wary of the pitfalls of cognitive dissonance. They combine
the use of bridging metaphor with deliberate choice of and repetitive
use of new words that signal that new mindsets may be needed."

Please feel free to play with this...I've put it on a Google Doc here

http://tinyurl.com/yd94bud

Michael, I look forward to having a beer and will be in touch.
John, your case study is awe inspiring.. can I have a peke at this
super contextual map and pinpoint where some VNA simplexity can
contribute?
Kim, " state of understanding," is deep and pertinent.
Charlie, huge thanks for insights
Stewart, negotiated agreements are an outcome to look forward to as
are the possibilities of replication, Geoffrey.
Cindy, improvisation with jazz et al is timely reminder of Oliver
Schwabe's getting jazzed and Sergej's current work
Patti, the language thing is critical and the link with "communities"
in the neighbourhood evokes the community model alongside the business
model. (I've dobe som stuff on that, kind of proprietary, but can
share to anyone interested enough to sigh up to a place in my blog -
more anon)
Janis, a great reminder. I knew I'd seen orchestrator somewhere, so
immediately referred to Johyn Hagel 111's book "Out of the box." It's
all there with reference to process networks. What we are doing here
is bringing the intangobels to the fore plus the interaction of
process networks with some self organisation / emergence. Also Don
Tapscott;s "Wikinomics - is hot on orchestration, but on the last page
- just noticed.
Bev, look forward to your insights.
Catherine, love the lions. It's all guns blazing so why not collar
Don. I believe he is in Toronto as well.

Next steps:

Should we consider creating a list of not more than seven words to
begin using in our every day language that captures the spirit of this
particular thread?
We can all collect together in self defence if needed. (A pride of
lionesses, perhaps.. as we go hunting.)

Secondly, when ready, would someone who knows the Wikipedia protocols
like to put up an entry stub.

David

Stewart Levine

Feb 2, 2010, 11:51:31 AM2/2/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David...and all this depends upon the enaggement of "evolved"
humans...and that's always where the challenge is.

Stewart

Change of mind: I wrote this as part of the definition of BEO,

"The key quality of an orchestrator or choreographer is to be
continually open to others, fearless of others, detached from outcome
in being of service to others, and free of ego. New ways of leading
and managing need to be discovered to achieve this state of being."

If the above is appropriate, what role performs the "envisioning?"
Refer, for example, to Charles Savage's 5th Generation Management,
which graphically illustrates this by reference to the musical
metaphor of Beethoven's Fifth.
Is this left to the participating contributors (organisations) in the
ecosystem. How is the US Health System / Financial System evolving?
Where lies authority in the ethical sense, rather than power?

Charles Ehin

Feb 4, 2010, 2:18:32 PM2/4/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
David,

"Envisioning" from my perspective is the responsibility of everyone involved. A vision or what I call in my writings "Challenging Aspirations" is all about looking for "possibilities" that in some fashion satisfy the aspirations of all the people involved and the organization/network as a whole. Once the challenging aspirations have been agreed upon they need to be then vigorously pursued. They also need to be periodically updated via reflective sessions by the network members.

Charlie

Feb 5, 2010, 4:52:50 AM2/5/10
to Value Networks
It is unclear, David, how a facilitator or choreographer can be
"detached from outcome". IT has had intensive debate about the
difference between orchestration and choreography and I wrote on this
subject on multiple occasions. If we start using terms 'orchestrator'
and 'choreographer' with different semantic that IT has produced, we
will confuse a lot of people.

Briefly, orchestration is used in the sense of one entity (conductor/
facilitator) organising others with or without their awareness of the
orchestrated collaboration (a worker performs a job and does not know
that the results are used an input to another job in the scope of
orchestration). The choreography is used as a 'protocol' of particular
interaction between a pair of participants. All attempts to use
choreography as a globally organising model (like orchestration)
proofed instability of such model and unacceptable risk of the model
failure due to mis-behaviour of just one participant.

- Michael

David Meggitt

Feb 6, 2010, 5:41:24 AM2/6/10
to Value Networks
Agreed, Michael, "detached from outcome" is unclear. Ideas still
forming on that.

Thank you for drawing attention to the IT sematic, and potential for
confusion.
Going back to UK English basics, maybe this is an improvement:

"An orchestrator combines, arranges or builds up elements of an
(ecosystem) for maximum effect using choreography for movement and
scripts for role play in the acting."

There was along debate about roles and role plays in the context of
value networks, and I think you will see, now, more use of the phrase
"role play," foreshortened to "role."

So, taking music as an example of a script, I envisage the possibility
of the whole orchestra being allowed the conductor's score if
individuals want it.

The "challenge" of misbehaviour you refer to seems to strike at the
core of Charlie's "sweet spot" challenge. To be accountable for risk
in these circumstances seems to be a factor that new forms of
leadership and management need if they support shared access
protocols.

I'm looking forward to that beer!

David

PS: It would be good to be as compatible as possible with IT
colleagues.

David Meggitt

Mar 12, 2010, 5:09:32 AM3/12/10
to Value Networks
Hi, I've stuck something up on Wikipedia which does not conform to the
formal standards, but, hopefully, something will emerge!
I am using the term with some ease now in circles ranging from
manufacturing to Islamic finance. No problem. Try it out.Join the
fray!!

David

David Meggitt

Nov 22, 2013, 6:32:48 AM11/22/13
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Michael, if a protocol for choreography requires rules then you will fail to open up innovation. It can work using principles, I suspect.
Orchestrator seems to convey well the sense that a business ecosystem is both formally guided / controlled and also emergent. Hence there is no way that anyone can know  all the detail of how one's contributions affect other players, but the orchestrator can facilitate the big picture of broad interactions and, hence, shape the business models of participating organisations. IT is not the starting point of guidance here.  We start with how people see how organisations really work. IT should support that and also provide an input on what else can be achieved with new technology / techniques... David

Benoit

Nov 22, 2013, 11:56:25 AM11/22/13
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Salut David and all,

I just finished reading every contribution and as usual, much value being networked;
great work David and all!

As I was reading about the idea of " business ecosystem orchestrator ",
I was getting the picture of a an orchestra being planted like a garden,
where each one's disposition is to maximizes what it takes
and what it gives to its immediate environment.

The orchestrator chair finds its meaning and purpose by joining the composer,
the sound engineer and the gardener who serve the coming and holding together
of the parts and of the whole by being rooted to produce from the rich vitality
of direct personal grounding of mutual dependency.

Regarding "Envisioning", here's a thought I wrote about it that might contribute:

THE SOUND of VISION

Vision comes to those who exercise themselves to see what they hear as they listen,
who learn to see what is said
and who enter in the experience of simple perceptual connection
to the wide open personal completion within the moment's happening.

As one develops the maturity of full participation with the moment,
so does the perceptual envisioning dexterity.

From the normalization of envisioning into one's perceptual connection
getting firmly established in the daily living,
then comes the invisioning.

The invisioning is the imagination's inner screen lighting up in context
of where the envisioning grows.

To envision is to become aware
from soaking in the atmosphere.

To invision is the focus coming in contact
with the natural deployment grown
from the whole envisioning atmosphere I soak in daily.

The essence of vision comes from the personal relatedness development
in its whole simplicity of perceptual connection in the moment.

The sign of a vision is confirmed when it gets communicated in the context that it addresses
and that the focusing message lights up a healthy stimulation
of the imagination screen and of the creativity
from each listener's own personal perceptual relatedness.

It is also recognized from the pure joy of effortlessly knowing
from experiencing the view beyond any possible doubt and argument,
bubbling up with love in faith and hope among all present...

Benoît

Mary Boone

Nov 22, 2013, 9:11:33 AM11/22/13
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Michael that “detached” from outcome doesn’t seem right.
Perhaps “loosely-coupled” to the outcome (to repurpose a term from Weick) would be more appropriate.
They must be open to emergent outcomes.
I also agree with David re: rules vs. principles.

Charles Ehin

Nov 22, 2013, 2:52:22 PM11/22/13
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
An orchestra conductor is still an example of a top-down hierarchical organization. A better example for self-organization is a jazz group where you have a common theme/melody but all members improvise as a piece is played. Innovation/improvisation is 80% reliant on our subconscious mind. Go with the flow, baby!

You may want to check-out my latest article entitled, "Can people really be managed?" at  http://www.unmanagement.com/work/can-people-really-be-managed/.

Cheers,
Charlie
Nov 25, 2013, 2:00:02 PM11/25/13
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Hello. It is great to see such a quick response, considering that it is several years since we started this thread!
Thank you for your thoughts Benoit, Mary, Charlie and Michael Poulin (see new thread he started  here)

All in all, I still see the "orchestration" role as providing a sense of leadership being exercised in cultivating and coordinating a network of organisations. This is somewhat analogous to the "catalytic leadership" Charlie describes in his paper for cultivating "synchronised dynamic order."

I see principles as opposed to rules being more effective in the business ecosystem orchestration role (thanks for picking this up the importance of principles, Mary). Then add to this mix having a vision driven by heartfelt beliefs of a person playing that role (to sustain the effort) as being essential (thanks Benoit for the inspirational words).

In answer to Michael's questions here; for me:
1) A facilitator is focused on assisting the discovery of what participants want whilst
an orchestrator incorporates this and also guides towards the orchestrator's personal vision and the alignment of others to that. (visualise an entrepreneur starting a business).
2) partly addressed by 1)
3) The reality is that everyone does have their own reality. Skilful orchestration ensures that foundations are solid enough to support the emergent outcomes.(As a civil engineer I do know the importance of sound foundations!)
4) collaboration by rules is okay provided they are in the spirit of strategic guidance. Over prescription inevitably leads to the excuse that I have abided by the rules but not the spirit. The Wellspring of organisation sustainability is co-creative effort ("open innovation") across boundaries which cannot be controlled – Refer, also to the theory and practice behind "communities of practice."
5) True
I conclude that the Business ecosystem orchestrator role is valid as no single organisation can meet its goals in isolation. So, for example we seek to cultivate and incorporate new ideas from the supply chain to meet the needs of customers' customers.

Michael is the first author on service – oriented enterprise to embrace value network relevance (See his book "Architects know what managers don't," (2013) In this he addresses service orchestration and choreography to elaborate the idea of business services working together; incorporating also Charlie's "sweet spots" in a later chapter."

in response to Charlie, I see that there is strategic guidance incorporated in the orchestration and choreographer role. However, the Impression given is of "control," which in the emergent sense is disappointing. There is however, hope that it could transform, naturally, into a jazzed up way of working.
I seem to be moving therefore towards a "catalyst motivated business ecosystem orchestrator!"

This resonates with "catallactics" - studying community exchange scientifically - and "consilience" a joining together of ideas - both as described by Michael Mainelli and Ian Harris in their book "The price of fish."

Onwards.

David Meggitt

Oct 10, 2014, 4:33:20 AM10/10/14
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
As indicated a while ago "onwards!" Orchestrating / choreographing etc etc business ecosystems is not really all about analytics and logic but starts off with emotions. A recent trip to the gorgeous island of Crete in Greece triggered this video....spot the new developments in ideas...http://tinyurl.com/p4wlvva

I will keep all in this thread "in the loop" as we progress.

Best wishes.... David

Sergej van Middendorp | Private

Oct 10, 2014, 5:10:38 AM10/10/14
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Thanks for sharing. It was nice to see you on the video after such a long time. I was struck by your light determination and I wish you all the best with this project.

Nice work,

Sergej

David Meggitt

Oct 12, 2014, 11:23:23 AM10/12/14
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Sergej,

"Light determination!" Yes, that resonates.... I know you have done an enormous amount of development work arising out of the jazz sessions, which is highly relevant to the thread also.

We must gather sometime next year.

Sergej van Middendorp | Private

Oct 13, 2014, 2:59:53 AM10/13/14
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Indeed, it would be good to be together. Let's make a note.

Best, Sergej

Verna Allee

Oct 13, 2014, 3:14:45 PM10/13/14
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
I will be with you both in spirit! Hugs.
--
Verna Allee

stewart levine

Oct 14, 2014, 11:10:36 AM10/14/14
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
I have a colleague who’s right with you…check out http://hughballou.com

Best to all…

Stewart

Stewart3-2012_sm.png

Stewart Levine, Resolutionary

www.Resolutionworks.com

510-777-1166

510-814-1010 mobile

David Meggitt

Oct 29, 2014, 5:54:45 PM10/29/14
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the hugs, Verna. I think, medically, we need four a day for basic maintenance!

Interestingly, I suggest we can incorporate this action as a component within informal networks, where the real energy lies.

David Meggitt

Oct 29, 2014, 5:57:24 PM10/29/14
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Excellent synergy, Stewart.

Sergej van Middendorp | Private

Oct 30, 2014, 12:09:02 PM10/30/14
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Verna, as David says, hugs are those intangibles that create good energy in a community of purpose, even if we don't see each other that often ;-). Hugs back (I was travelling (AZ), not too far from your place actually, at least from where I live), hence my late hugs.

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 10:57 PM, David Meggitt <ma...@davidmeggitt.com> wrote:
Excellent synergy, Stewart.

Sergej van Middendorp | Private

Oct 30, 2014, 12:09:16 PM10/30/14