AWS s3 bucket always showing disk space used zero

umesh kanzariya

Mar 22, 2019, 7:39:58 AM3/22/19
to vglug
Hi All,

In our environment AWS s3 bucket mounted via NFS on the Linux server.
while checking disk usage it is always showing used space as zero.

"I understand how  it is reported by AWS Storage Gateway NFS server and I suspect this reflects specifics of S3 storage  .
S3 is not file system and it does not track used space as accurately as regular file system does.
It periodically meters how many data is used in S3 bucket by specific AWS account for purpose of billing and at the same time the statistics reported by "df" on NFS storage gateway share (or on EFS share) is updated
So I suspect that "df" will show correct used space after some delay."

Please let me know if anybody has some more idea or clarity on this.

xxxxx:/aws-bucket-archive
                     nfs    8.0E     0  8.0E   0% /mnt/testarchive

Currently one of the archiving tool is failing since it is performing such "disk usage check" & failing due to "zero" value.

Thx
Umesh

Piyush Sharma

Mar 22, 2019, 7:43:12 AM3/22/19