[Unlocked Wordhoard] Mr. Scabies and Academic Blogs

Dr. Richard Scott Nokes

Aug 7, 2007, 6:10:18 PM8/7/07
to Unlocked-...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps my least favorite type of blogging is blogging about blogging. It has the potential to be meta-blogging, but generally just tastes like flat Diet Rite Cola. I hate to have two posts in a row about blogging, but sometimes that's just the way things fall out.

A little brouhaha has broken out over at New Kid on the Hallway regarding this comment Steve Muhlberger made -- and just as Muhlberger is on his blogging vacation, too. The question at hand is whether or not blogging about academic life has peaked. Myself, I'm inclined to think it hasn't -- after all, I read New Kid's fine blog regularly -- but that's just not what the Wordhoard is about.

The side issue has to do with cat blogging -- the reference to "Mr. Scabies." I can't figure out the fixation that academics have with their dang cats. Surely no one thinks anyone else wants to see pictures of their cats, so the pleasure must be somehow exhibitionist. I suppose love of pictures of cats wearing human clothing is at least one point of potential connection between Academia and viewers of the Home Shopping Network.

I suppose if one is blogging about the academic life and one's cats, at least one isn't libeling Dr. Virago as I inadvertantly did in this post. Sorry, Dr. V!

--
Posted By Dr. Richard Scott Nokes to Unlocked Wordhoard at 8/07/2007 04:52:00 PM