[Unlocked Wordhoard] Geoffroi de Charny's Name

Dr. Richard Scott Nokes

Oct 25, 2010, 1:24:40 PM10/25/10
to Unlocked-...@googlegroups.com
This is perhaps a dumb question, but why is Geoffroi de Charny called "Charny" rather than "Geoffroi" when we're just using one name? Most of the time, the "de" is more of a designation than part of the name, so we just use their proper name, such as in Christine de Pizan, who would normally just be called "Christine."* The case of Joan d'Arc is an odd one since "d'Arc" is actually her name -- she's from a town called Domremy, and as far as I know there isn't even a place called "Arc," so "Joan of Arc" is a misnomer.

But I notice that the practice is to call Geoffroi de Charny "Charny," and I also note that it's the way he signs his own book. So, does anyone out there know why he's called "Charny" rather than "Geoffroi"?

*Though this too is a little complicated, since she's from Venice, and "Pizan" is an inherited name indicating her family's origins in Pizzano.

--
Posted By Dr. Richard Scott Nokes to Unlocked Wordhoard at 10/25/2010 12:14:00 PM