USRC Invasive Removal - 2022

1 view

Joe Niernberger

Apr 3, 2022, 9:07:49 PMApr 3
to usrc-f...@googlegroups.com, uie-masternat...@aces.illinois.edu, Doug Jackson, Christine Bidner, hdca...@hotmail.com, Ruthann Swickard

The rainy spring weather is putting a damper on starting invasive honeysuckle removal at Mahomet Greenway Park.  We’ll plan on starting on Thursday, April 14 and hope we get some dry weather.  Meet at the parking lot at 1404 S. Division St. (north of the Sangamon River bridge on IL-47) at 9:00 a.m.  Tools (loppers, saws, gloves, etc.) will be provided.  Wear sturdy shoes, long pants, long-sleeved shirt, and bring your own water.

Workdays will be held every Thursday (weather permitting), with a burn day once a month for brush piles.  Burn days will be on weekends, with the first scheduled for Sunday, April 17 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.  Future burn days are Sunday, May 15 and Sunday, June 26.

Well over half of the honeysuckle in the park was removed in 2021 by 25 volunteers working 359 hours—we can complete the initial removal of the remainder this year!  Hope you can join us!

Joe Niernberger

Apr 12, 2022, 11:07:04 PMApr 12
to usrc-f...@googlegroups.com, uie-masternat...@aces.illinois.edu, Doug Jackson, Christine Bidner, hdca...@hotmail.com, Ruthann Swickard

Hi Volunteers,

I’m giving up on working at Mahomet Greenway Park this month!  With the heavy rain predicted for tomorrow and possible rain on Sunday, it will be too wet to get to the work area or burn brush piles.  We’ll plan to resume work on Thursday, May 5 and hope for some dry days ahead.

Thanks, Joe