AISHAGATE: WE ARE BETTER THAN THIS

Toyin Falola

Dec 3, 2022, 6:14:34 AM12/3/22
to dialogue

AISHAGATE: WE ARE BETTER THAN THIS

By: Prof. Usman Yusuf
2nd December 2022

Whereas our elected representatives are fair game for criticisms while in office, I have always considered commenting on or criticising their families as no go areas. But, recent actions by the First Lady Mrs. Aisha Buhari required a review of this self censorship.

It is no longer news that Mrs. Buhari ordered the illegal abduction, transportation to Abuja, detention and torture of a 23 year old young man called Aminu Mohammed Adamu who is a final year student at the department of Environmental Management of the Federal University of Dutse in Jigawa State. He is said to have been brought to Mrs. Buhari at the Presidential Villa where he was allegedly beaten by the First Lady before handing him over to her “Gestapo”.

He was then detained and tortured at an undisclosed location where he was kept incommunicado for days with no access to his family or Lawyers. He was secretly arraigned before a Court in Abuja without legal representation and remanded in prison.

Did Aminu kill someone to deserve such lethal force of the state on him, one might ask? His only offense was that he bruised the First Lady’s ego by posting a tweet in Hausa language saying that she has gained so much weight because she has fed fat on people’s commonwealth.

As a parent, I will be the first to admit that Aminu’s behavior was absolutely wrong. If God forbid, any of my children were to do what he did, I would be the first to call him to order by asking him to pull down the tweet and offer an immediate apology to the First Lady through the same medium. I would also have extended my apologies to her as a father because insulting any elder does not represent our upbringing.

I have repeatedly said that elders all across the country are losing control of their youths. Social media is providing our youth a medium to say and do things that are in complete contradiction to their upbringing and faiths. I am sure Aminu’s parents are not proud of his actions.

However, the First Lady’s response was way out of proportion to the perceived insult. It is no exaggeration to say that Mrs. Buhari has not lived up to the dignity of the office she occupies. In the almost 8 years in the office, she has not really warmed herself into the hearts of Nigerians particularly women and the youth who are the largest demographics.

Being married to a President that prides himself with doing things according to the rules of Law, the First Lady’s behavior must be a big blow to him especially in the twilight years of his Administration. His tenure and family will forever be remembered for this shameful blatant abuse of human rights. This is certainly not the proudest moment for the President’s family.

The First Lady’s action has unfortunately starred the hornet’s nest by igniting the fury of Nigerian youth against her person and her family. She has now become an object of ridicule on social media. A First Lady is usually looked up to as the mother of the nation and an ambassador for women but alas, Mrs. Buhari has not lived up to such expectations.

Whichever arm of our security services the First Lady used for such inhumane and illegal act of abducting and torturing a citizen, should be ashamed of itself. At a time when Nigerians see these security services as falling short in their responsibilities of protecting and securing their lives and property against marauding bandits and Boko Haram terrorists, these same security services could track down the calls of this young student and send operatives hundred of kilometers away to abduct him gestapo style while unable to do same to rescue hundreds of our children who have been in captivity some for years in the hands of terrorists all across Northern Nigeria.

There are more sensible and dignified ways for the First Lady and her handlers to have handled the situation if she could not ignore it as she should have. Even though Nigerians have lost faith and confidence in their political leaders, with good reasons too, I might add, they still hold their elders, traditional and religious leaders in high esteem.

Aminu and his father could have discretely been invited by either the Emir of Azare in Bauchi state where he hails from or the Emir of Dutse where he resides. Any of these respected Emirs would have handled this by expressing their strong displeasure with his action, asking him to immediately take down the tweet, offer the First Lady an apology through the same medium and undertake not to do any such thing again. If he repeats it again, he will then face the full force of the law.

I am glad the President has finally stepped in and Aminu has been released, I also heard that the President will meet with him at the Villa on Saturday 3rd December, 2022.  I am sure the President will do the right thing by apologising to him on behalf of his wife and family. I have read the belated and seemingly forced apology from the First Lady on social media.

I hope and pray that Aminu and his family will accept the President’s reachout in good faith and resist any attempt by mischief makers to drag this any further.

There is no place in our democracy for such impunity and abuse of office. The President has done the right thing and I hope lessons have been learnt.

It is time to move on to the serious task of rebuilding our nation for our children and grandchildren.

Usman Yusuf is a Professor of Haematology-Oncology and
Bone Marrow Transplantation.
Get Outlook for iOS

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

Dec 3, 2022, 12:25:49 PM12/3/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
this is new to me-

''Being married to a President that prides himself with doing things according to the rules of Law...''

in all, what is so unusual about anyone ridiculing the First Lady?

is that not part of the price of public office?

really?-

''Aminu and his father could have discretely been invited by either the Emir of Azare in Bauchi state where he hails from or the Emir of Dutse where he resides. Any of these respected Emirs would have handled this by expressing their strong displeasure with his action, asking him to immediately take down the tweet, offer the First Lady an apology through the same medium and undertake not to do any such thing again. If he repeats it again, he will then face the full force of the law.''

the height of the ridiculous.

thanks

toyin

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Adeshina Afolayan

Dec 3, 2022, 12:25:49 PM12/3/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
"As a parent, I will be the first to admit that Aminu’s behavior was absolutely wrong. If God forbid, any of my children were to do what he did, I would be the first to call him to order by asking him to pull down the tweet and offer an immediate apology to the First Lady through the same medium. I would also have extended my apologies to her as a father because insulting any elder does not represent our upbringing."
"It is time to move on to the serious task of rebuilding our nation for our children and grandchildren."

And what is more serious than calling out the terrible behavior of those elected to govern us? I am shocked that this last sentence reads like this, given the context of the entire event that led to the arrest of Adamu. We should let go of a democratic outrage (i wrote that without any belief in the democratic credentials of the Nigerian state). Hábà!

And Prof. Yusuf deemed it fit to appeal to elements of anachronistic culture of silence that would make us all lick the boot of our oppressors in the name of cultural correctness? Adamu's behavior was "absolutely wrong"? The guy even called her "mama" or "mother" in the tweet; a remnant of cultural respectability in his outraged sensibility.

That tweet embodies a contextual disaffection not only with Aisha Buhari but with the entire Buhari administration. And what Adamu said about her could be said about all the political class that are feeding fat on the commonwealth. The other day, someone recorded the obscene wealth of Dino Melaye. The video reveals he has over 200 wristwatche! And he was strutting from room to room, showing off his collections of shoes and all sorts, and the bootlicker was following obsequiously. According to Prof. Yusuf, cultural correctness should prevent me from calling this dude a thief who fed fat on what belonged to Nigerians. If Aisha Buhari felt maligned, democratic imperative demands she should have sued the young man, or any citizen for that matter, to court, or write to correct any wrong impression. But to arbitrarily arrest and torture him?

If our elders are stealing from our commonweal, and traumatizing our citizenship, i don't think cultural respectability demands that we keep quiet. What happened to Citizen Adamu means that the Aisha Buhari who used to damn political correctness has compromised her critical stand, and the Buhari administration remains, no surprise here, draconian.

Forget about the apologies to Adamu. We all have been traumatized. Democracy is a travesty in Nigeria.

Cornelius Hamelberg

Dec 3, 2022, 12:36:34 PM12/3/22
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

This is not about “ Freedom of Speech”

 And how do the speculators know that all that  they have reported so far are factually correct?

  1. Nigeria’s First Lady Aisha Buhari  deserves a lot of respect.

No respect : Violence in words, insults, slander, indeed, we ( all of us/ some of us ) “are better than this”,  we are for example  better than this brawl in Senegal's Parliament in which during their parliamentary session convened to discuss the budget, a male  opposition MP didn’t like what a female MP of the ruling  Government Party said, could not  control himself and therefore went over to where she was sitting  and gave her a slap, whereupon she in turn picked up a chair and threw it at him, in no time at all thereby causing Senegal’s Parliament to be converted  into a war zone, a free -for-all !

Now, our imagination doesn’t have to run riot, but if we could just pause for a minute and imagine  the Nigerian senate in session and that  - God forbid -  it was Nigeria's First Lady Aisha Buhari or anyone else’s wife or first lady that had been on the receiving end of that slap by someone like the miscreant in question Aminu Mohammed Adamu. Some sentimental human rights/ amnesty international sort of fellow  is going to say that the miscreant's slap wasn’t  “ physical”  - that sticks and stones may break someone’s bones but seditious words, calumny,  whether libel, slander  and assassination  of character etc  don’t hurt and do not deserve  or merit  any kind of punishment or that at best such behaviour only deserves a mild reprimand, a slap on the wrist

According to the author of the piece , Prof. Usman Yusuf , “Did Aminu kill someone to deserve such lethal force of the state on him, one might ask?

Pathologically speaking - and he is a professor of  medicine , so what does he mean by “ lethal force `” ? I ask, because 22 year old Aminu Mohammed Adamu, a lot worse off for all his shufferings , is still very much alive and hopefully in no hurry to commit a repeat of his  transgressions the direct cause of an example being made of him  - and thus he will have saved many others from making the same kind of unfortunate mistakes

Islamically speaking, the horrible things that he said about First Lady Aisha Buhari  - that sort of backbiting, and entirely without any justification in sight is tantamount to “ eating her flesh” - i.e . murder and cannibalism - a different order of reality in connection with Shia views on Lady Aisha

Aminu and his father could have discretely been invited by either the Emir of Azare in Bauchi state” etc, pens Prof. Yusuf

And what about those  malicious twittering idiots “stationed overseas” who for their daily bread  accost the Buhrais on a daily basis  - should they be given a green card to continue with their havoc?

Perhaps of peripheral  interest  by Prof. Edward Dutton ( The Jolly Heretic) :

 How Do You Spot an Autistic Woman, Such as Liz Truss?

Toyin Falola

Dec 3, 2022, 12:36:34 PM12/3/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Can one not scold and endorse a message?
I thought he is separating bad manners from brutal political reaction. The way I read it:
My son, what the professor did to you is terrible but you should not have slapped him.
He is claiming a higher moral ground to escalate his condemnation of the First Lady, a strategy of saying
What my son said is bad but you are satanic

Dec 4, 2022, 3:15:08 AM12/4/22
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju,

I know that you’re not a pugilist, so how do you respond to this kind of truth:

Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it”(Iron Mike)

Chika Okeke-Agulu

Dec 4, 2022, 3:15:22 AM12/4/22
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
What right does the Nigerian elder political class have to tell me about the bad behavior of their youth? Prof. Adamu's diplomacy is misplaced. The Nigerian youth, including Aminu Adamu have every reason to be mad about the state of their country. Respect for elders does not work here. If my son wrote that tweet, I would be worried for his safety as a parent, but support his courage to say what I am sure many among his generation feel. Mrs. Buhari is a political figure who indeed has been feeding fat on the future of our young. If Adamu was referring to some private citizen then we can talk about manners. If the young cannot speak truth to power, is it the compromised parents that will do it? I am sorry, apologies by the President for his wife's tyranny are not enough.

Chika Okeke-Agulu

Dec 4, 2022, 3:15:22 AM12/4/22
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
This is the English translation--according to BBC--of what Nigerian prosecutors said that Adamu wrote in his tweet about Mrs. Buhari: "Mama has embezzled monies meant for the poor." Just so we are clear about the young man's crime or, according to Prof. Yusuf, his shameful behavior.

Toyin Falola

Dec 4, 2022, 3:37:24 AM12/4/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Chika:

I am enjoying this thread.

The debate is being mis-focused. Adamu does not disagree with you or Adeshina Afolayan with respect to the core issue: abuse of power. Indeed, my reading is far more complicated: I see a maniac behavior. The First Lady needs medication.

The refocusing by you and Adeshina Afolayan is on the cultural ingredient of criticism. I can assure you that a father in Japan, Malaysia, Qatar, China, etc.  will say the same. I have been to Japan and you will see how criticisms and culture are connected. Parenting cannot be divorced from safety and survivalism. I joined in anti-military protests as a young man. Most parents told their sons and daughters not to join, as they also did with #Endsars.

Aisah is the issue here, not Adamu.

PS: Nothing makes me happier more than polite arguments.

Chika Okeke-Agulu

Dec 4, 2022, 4:43:44 AM12/4/22
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Oga Falola,
But Adamu called Mrs. Buhari "Mama"? Is that not a sign of respect--of the African kind? I can see why "African culture" would frown at a child calling out his parent/Mama for subjecting him to infernal starvation, but I also see nothing wrong if the child did just that. The elder respect that African cultures expected from the youth, I'd like to think, is predicated on the assumption that the elders have a fundamental responsibility to take care of their young, the embodiment of society's future. What I am saying is that African postcolonial autocrats have often hidden behind the curtain of tradition/culture and "respect for elders" to sell their children's tomorrow and expect no dissension from the youth. I am saying that neither Mrs. Buhari nor any of these public-office elders, that continue to live decadent lives despite that 130 Million citizens live in "multidimensional" poverty, deserve any apology from any upset Nigerian youth. It is not just Aishah Buhari that is the issue; it is also the government she represents. We can see how Qatar has deployed "culture" to stifle criticism. But at least they do not pretend to run a democracy, and they indeed do take care of their own citizens, especially their young!

Toyin Falola

Dec 4, 2022, 4:50:46 AM12/4/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Chika:

What do you think they call Mrs Biya in Cameroon, and Grace, the Guchi woman?

I was once at a state dinner in Uganda, and no one was standing up to even speak with the First Lady. You were on your knees.

I am not justifying this, to be sure, but to understand the subtext.

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

Dec 4, 2022, 5:04:06 AM12/4/22
to USAAfric...@googlegroups.com
In GEJ’s time a goat was publicly paraded and photographed with the President's name written on a plaque round the goat’s neck.

The GEJ Presidency never commented on such issues.

Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka was quoted as publicly referring to the President’s wife as a “shepopotamus”.  I am not aware of the Presidency as responding to that.

That is how to be a leader.

Who shall be charging Aisha Bihari and her accomplices to court from human rights abuses, as should be done ?

Thanks

Toyin

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

Dec 4, 2022, 5:19:31 AM12/4/22
to USAAfric...@googlegroups.com
Witty thread explicating Soyinka’s “shepopotamus” reference to Patience Jonathan.

No one is being harassed for such fun at the expense of the ex First Lady.

Thanks

Toyin

Ibrahim Abdullah

Dec 4, 2022, 5:19:36 AM12/4/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Backward culture of mother/father of the nation. Whet place do they have in a democracy? In Nigeria's mangled liberal democracy? Are these not a throw back to the 60s/70s when the notion of father of the nation was minted to deify Mzee et al? Is it not a script of our authoritarian one-party dictatorships?

What is African about that? Respect for age is nothing an African thing--it is yanked from communalism--it existed in every pre-capitalist culture: from Europe to the ancient East. Why Africanize it?

It appears African precisely because of the continent's backwardness/arrested development. It's the same with the notion of extended family--it was capitalist industrialization that buried extended family in Europe.

We should look closely at institutions that are/were universal before we hurriedly tag them African.

Is it any wonder that poverty has been declared African?

Toyin Falola

Dec 4, 2022, 5:31:26 AM12/4/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

IB:

Go to Nigerian campuses!

Baba, Mama, etc. are now used as higher, sometimes, than Professor dash

But is this naming a problem by itself?

Adeshina Afolayan

Dec 4, 2022, 6:44:00 AM12/4/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Ọ̀gá Chika,
Thank you for clarifying the issue most brilliantly.

I was on a call with Prof. Wariboko yesterday and it happeneed that two further outrages can be added to the saga. First, Mama Aisha Buhari discontinued the case against Citizen Adamu because she suddennly realized she's, wait for it...mother of the nation. After torturing a citizen, in a supposed democracy, she discontinued the case because of the "intervention of well-meaning Nigerians".

One of them must be the judge in the case, Justice Yusuf Halilu. He not only thanked the "mother of the nation" for her good and motherly gesture, he warned parents to rein their children in. Democracy and constitutionalism must be subordinated to the rule and excesses of the elders and the yes-men.

Citizen Adamu, in all likelihood, will leave Nigeria like thousands who have left. And his brutal experience will stimulate so many to also follow him. That's one of the many negative consequences of the #EndSARS protests.

Or, i pray Citizen Adamu becomes hardened in his endeavor of speaking truth to power no matter what. Amen.

Toyin Falola

Dec 4, 2022, 6:50:01 AM12/4/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Ojogbon:

Do you have examples in world history where parents do not warn their kids to be careful of the state?

Philosophy and values are different from History!

We have minority parents, like Fela’s mother, all over the world, but the majority of parents, even in the West Bank, tell their kids not to throw stones on the Israeli police.

It is actually in becoming adults, as part of that transition, that kids rebel.

TF

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

Dec 4, 2022, 8:22:54 AM12/4/22
to USAAfric...@googlegroups.com
There is a difference in a parent saying “be careful for your safety” and saying “don’t do A bcs it’s not right”

Is Falola not conflating the two?

I’m also puzzled by the continued references to parenting.

To what degree does that apply to a young man intelligent enough to lucidly criticize a public figure?

With such cultures of making children out of youth, how helpful is that to Nigerian youth?

Thanks

Toyin

Toyin Falola

Dec 4, 2022, 8:32:33 AM12/4/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Correct!
I did not set the parameters of this debate. I am challenging the parameters.
  1.  If you set up a culture that sees the end of living with the death, before your very eyes, of your own child you must accept its full practical and epistemological consequences.
  2. If you set up a patriarchal democratic culture, you cannot turn around and say it is wrong to call someone baba or mama.
  3. The debate is shifted from the logic of maniac power to the margins of cultural behavior in post colonial political abnormalities. Kenyatta is called father of the nation with his head on all the currencies in Kenya

Dec 5, 2022, 9:32:42 PM12/5/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Instead of Aisha-gate, I see only DSS dilemma. In Nigeria, people are kidnapped and millions of naira ransoms are demanded by kidnappers and paid but the DSS and the entire security forces are helpless as they cannot, in most cases, find the kidnapers. But Aminu Adamu Muhammed, a student of the Federal University Dutse, Jigawa State, they could track down for purportedly twitting against the wife of President Buhari, Aisha. Aminu Adamu Mohammed had on June 8, 2022, twitted the following in Hausa Language: SU MAMA ANCHI KUDIN TALAKAWA ANKOSHI, which is said to translate to: Mama has fed fat on poor people's money. The tweet was accompanied by a photograph resembling Mrs Buhari.

Many Nigerians, especially the Hausa speaking people, were not aware of Mr Muhammed's tweet, until the news broke out that he was arrested on November 18, 2022. It is even doubtful, if Aisha Buhari ever knew about Muhammed's tweet until the DSS informed her of the arrest of a person said to have defamed her in a tweet. Aisha Buhari could not just disown the security police pretending to defend her, so she was forced to play along. The tendency to taint bad the image of Aisha Buhari by the cabal in collaboration with the DSS is very high because of her open criticism of her husband's government. Otherwise, why did it take DSS over five months to act on a tweet that had not caused any negative reactions among the Nigerian populace against Aisha Buhari. Truly speaking, Aisha Buhari, did not suffer any personal damage as a result of Muhammed's tweet until the DSS's pretenders made mountain out of molehill.
S. Kadiri