"OUR NIGERIA‹COMMUNITIES SPEAK" ?‹FW: BUDGETARY TRAVAILS OF THE AUDITOR-GENERAL

Michael Vickers

Dec 4, 2022, 9:23:59 PM12/4/22
to Prof Ayo OLUKOTUN, Richard A. Joseph, Adigun Agbaje, Adetoun Adetona, Ashobanjo, Abiodun Raufu, Adebayo Williams, David Atte, Adebayo Olukoshi, Emmanuel Remi Aiyede, Niyi Akinnaso, Margaret Ayansola, Oluwatobiloba Daniel ADEWUNMI, Idowu Olayinka, Toyin Falola, Prof Bayo Adekanye, Prof. W.O. Alli, Akinjide Osuntokun, Ayo Banjo, Dhikru Adewale Yagboyaju, Bolaji Akinyemi, Mr. Kolade Mosuro, Hafsat Abiola, Dr Wale Babalakin, Wale A.Olaitan, Adele Jinadu, Wale Adebanwi, Dr Akinwumi A. Adesina, Anthony Asiwaju, Prof. Ayo Dunmoye, Abubakar Rasheed, Ademiluyi Wole, Adebayo Salami, Emmanuel Adesola, Fola Arthur-Worrey, Femi Babatunde, Esther Oluwaseun Idowu, Banji Oyeyinka, Jide Owoeye, Bode Fasakin, Obadare Ebenezer Babatunde, Bankole Omotoso, Fabian Benjamin, Bunmi Makinwa, Olatunde Babawale, Biodun Jeyifo, Bolaji Ogunseye, Fallou Ngom, Stephen Bolaji, Bukky Dada, M. Insa Nolte, Prof Olufemi VAUGHAN, busayo...@gmail.com, boyoka...@gmail.com, Banji Oyeyinka, Bamitale Omole, Olufemi Bamiro, Adebayo Ninalowo, Tunde Bewaji, Cyril Obi, Chibuzo Nwoke, Christian Ogbondah, Sheriff Folarin, Charles Akinola, dijiaina@yahoo com, Cynthia Samuel-Olonjuwon, Christina Olaoluwa, Charles Ayo, abati1990@yahoo com, Orogun Olanike, Dr John Nnia Nwodo, Ganiyu Go, Larry Diamond, Delelayiwola, Koyekenya, Dr. Sharon Omotoso, Dr Yemi Dipeolu, Ebunoluwa Oduwole, Prof Eghosa E. OSAGHAE, Ekaette Umanah Ekong, Grace Edema, OluYinka Esan, Francis Egbokhare, eyitay...@yahoo.com, Femi_Osofisan Osofisan, Fred Goke, Femi Otubanjo, F&C Securities Limited, Folashade Soneye, Friday Okonofua, Fola Oyeyinka, Francis Onaiyekan, Anike-Ade Funke Treasure, Olayemi Foline Folorunsho, Dele Seteolu, Prof Ogunmola Ogunmola, Tunji Olaopa, Glory Ukwenga, Ola Jumoke, Royal Gardens, Prof. Hassan Saliu, Mohammed Haruna, Koyinsola Owoeye, Olukayode Somoye, Henry Lovejoy, Victor Isumonah, Kehinde Isinkaye, Lanre Idowu, Is-haq Oloyede, Jide Ibietan, Shadrach Ijagbemi, Ibiwumi Saliu, Aladeniji Theo, Isaac Albert, Jadesany, Jones O. Moody, Najim Jimoh, Attahiru Jega, Tunde Jaiyeoba, Kayode Soremekun, Mary Kolawole, OLAYODE OLUSOLA, AbdulRasheed Na'Allah, Mojúbàolú Olúfúnké Okome, Moshood Omotosho, Michael Vickers, Mayor Tope, Ngozi, Mazi Sam Ohuabunwa, Mni Femi Mimiko, Abiodun Salawu, Nduka Otiono, Gaf Oye, Stella Olukotun, Lai Oso, Lai Olurode, Oluwaniyi Osundare, Peter Ozo-Eson, Remi Sonaiya, adebajopr...@gmail.com, emo...@channelstv.com, Prof. Tonia Simbine, Prof. Segun Awonusi, Prof Osinbajo, Peju Layiwola, Prof. Lere Amusan, Prof. Okpeh O. Okpeh, Prof Agagu Awujale Chair, pejuo...@yahoo.com, David Atte, Remi Raji, Rotimi Suberu, Rebecca Adugbe, Alade Rotimi-john, Richard A. Joseph, FON Roberts, Rotimi Olatunji, Joseph E. Inikori, Prof Raphael NJOKU, ralphak...@hotmail.com, Segun Gbadegesin, Samuel Oloruntoba, Fatai Aremu, Toks X., Tiwalade Olugbade, Success Olugbuyiro, Umaru Pate, Pita Agbese, Wunmi Toke, Yomi LAYIINKA, agbabia...@gmail.com, USA-AFRICA dialogue

> [...]
> was in hands of the Chief Admin Officer and his Brit Colonial associates,
> under directions from Whitehall. …Simple.
>
> And today? Same pattern. Only now—and indeed since October 1960— all power is
> in the hands of Ministers. …Once in Office the respective Minister shuts all
> doors. And gets on with the straightforward business of Admin. Disbursement of
> Government Business entails often very big undertakings. Very big expenditures
> of Taxpayers’ money. Final responsibility rests with the Minister.
>
> Court Records of post-election Trials of State Governors departing office and
> high Officials, with many convictions for massive financial crimes, have
> demonstrated weakness of existing laws. Regrettably, all attempts to repeal
> these vital laws have been fiercely resisted. Lugard has won again—though for
> an outcome that would not please him—I would like to think.
>
> It would be amazing and wonderful if The Punch could open information
> channels, and hence enable, amongst other things, provision of some semblance
> of positions of local citizens on issues they regard as important.
>
> For the first time it might indicate there is movement towards what Nigeria's
> New Citizens under the Independence Constitution of 1960 thought was theirs,
> but in the interim has lapsed into effective vacuum.
>
> There is so much to be gained, by all participants—oligarchs as well as the
> 98er/ the ordinary voter--by easing the country forward on a more participant
> and responsible path. It wouldn’t be difficult—where the Will is present.
>
> What is the point in risking massive, savage reversals from all that we stand
> duly to gain immense advantage, opportunity and benefit?
>
> A closing reminder from Lord Acton; a maxim of which most of us were made
> aware from the outset of our Government Studies: “Power,” said Acton,
> “corrupts. And Absolute Power corrupts absolutely.” He added, “Great men are
> almost always bad men.” (1887)
>
> As most of us were brought up with a Liberal-Democratic belief (even young
> Conservatives like me), we tended only to take passing notice of Acton’s
> maxim. …It now has become an Article of Faith with those who bother with the
> realities of modern Government and Politics.
>
> Today’s students of Govt and Politics, might merely nod and smile.
>
> All best, Baba m
>
> …
>
> PS—Ayo, Curious, having just completed this small note for your atttention, I
> find my Inbox has received a note; the very first from my new MP, Mims
> Davies—she replaced (at the 2019 elections) Nicholas Soames, known best as
> grandson of Winston Churchill. …This Mid-Sussex seat is, and has always been,
> a “Safe Tory” seat. And given Ms Davies range of attentions (see her website)
> seems likely so to remain. …See attached item, should you feel so inclined. In
> fact, one might say Sagan’s message/ comments are of even more imminent
> concern to our Nigeria folk and reps. Mv

Sent frXom my iPad