UN Deputy Secretary-General to give 2022 Dag Hammarskjöld Lecture ´Strength in our common humanity"

Cornelius Hamelberg

Feb 3, 2023, 7:31:13 AM2/3/23
to USAAfric...@googlegroups.com

UN Deputy Secretary-General to give 2022 Dag Hammarskjöld Lecture ´Strength in our common humanity

Ms. Amina J. Mohammed, Deputy Secretary-General of the UN.

On 23 February 2023, the Foundation and Uppsala University are hosting the prestigious Annual Dag Hammarskjöld Lecture. We recognise individuals who exhibit Dag Hammarskjöld’s values and aspirations as UN Secretary-General, namely compassion, humanism plus commitment to international solidarity and cooperation. Amina J. Mohammed, Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations is the 2022 lecturer and medalist. This year's topic is 'Strength in our common humanity'.

The lecture will be delivered at the Uppsala University Aula Magna, 3 Biskopsgatan, Uppsala, Sweden at 5 pm. The event will also be live-streamed and the link to be shared.

About the lecturer
Ms. Amina J. Mohammed is the Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations and Chair of the United Nations Sustainable Development Group. She was the process leader that delivered the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development global agreement and the creation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Prior to her appointment with the UN, she was Minister of Environment of the Federal Republic of Nigeria where she steered climate action efforts and programmes to protect the natural environment.

For more information, please contact lectu...@daghammarskjold.se.

Text: Annelies Hickendorff, picture: United Nations.

Toyin Falola

Feb 3, 2023, 7:39:11 AM2/3/23
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Do folks such as this say something significant? I thought the idea is more to dignify an event than to move society forward.

TF

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

Feb 3, 2023, 1:49:22 PM2/3/23
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
could you clarify prof?

  its unusual of you to be dismissive of others' potential contributions.

 would she not have accomplished something significant and demonstrated valuable capability leading to her being made UN deputy  Sec Gen?

thanks

Toyin

Cornelius Hamelberg

Feb 4, 2023, 5:22:12 AM2/4/23
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

According to the Islamic calendar today Rajab 13 is the birthday of Imam Ali, alaihi salaam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiC2_OzUsyQ

As observed elsewhere, Ojogbon likes to provoke. This time it’s “ Do folks such as this say something significant?”

Like in the Gospel according to John, Nathanael asking the question, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?”

Like in 1986, on hearing that Wole Soyinka had just been awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature, sour grapes  V.S Naipaul asked, “ Has he written anything?” and then added, “the Swedish Academy is pissing on literature from a great height.

Ojogbon: “ Do folks such as this say something significant?”

The short answer that Ojogbon knows better than anyone else here, is that especially in this digital age,  there is POWER in the possibility of the transfer of ideas without borders, and, sometimes positive ideas get translated into action…

Hopefully, the  2022 Dag Hammarskjöld Lecture ´Strength in our common humanity” to be delivered at Uppsala University on 23 February 2023 by Ms. Amina J. Mohammed will have its own unique impact since “will be live-streamed via a link to be shared”.

It is being organised by the Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation  in collaboration with  the Swedish Association of International Affairs and  Pax et Bellum ( a student organisation of the Department of Peace and Conflict Research at Uppsala University)

Dag Hammarskjöld himself ( his plane was shot down whilst he was on a peace mission in the still-troubled Congo) needs no introduction.  Ms. Amina J. Mohammed who is Nigerian is of course not as well known; she’s the kind of person that  - hopefully, Ojogbon Falola could wing to appear on one of the Falola Conversations on the same topic “ Strength in our common Humanity” which is of acute relevance to the current Nigerian national ethos, to  Nigerian Presidential Elections that will be taking place in three weeks time and the aftermath of those elections in a country that is weakened by  - not the “clash of civilizations'' but by internal divisions, disunity,  conflicts, internal civil strife being fueled  - not by the ideals of our common humanity, but by differences in ethnicity, religion, and the tragical paradoxes of a rich country in which a great percentage of the masses continue to be mired in poverty, relative to Nigeria’s riches, all that oil money ….etc etc etc

Perhaps, the fundamental non-racist questions that some of our African leaders and politicians should try to understand and address, in adequate ways are questions such as, who and what is a human being? Who is not a human being? What is meant by humanity? What is the meaning of humane? Who are our people?

Hopefully, the Nigerian patriarchs will listen to Ms. Amina J. Mohammed,

just as in the Bible, the Almighty tells Sheikh Ibrahim to listen to Sarah