Climate and perspective

Harrow, Kenneth

Apr 8, 2024, 1:39:11 PMApr 8
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Just read this this morning in nyt.
It's an eye opener.
A nonstop flight from New York to San Francisco emits, on average, about 840 pounds of carbon dioxide per economy class passenger, according to Google Flights, whose data is independently reviewed. That’s equivalent to burning 420 pounds of coal, or more than the annual emissions of someone living in Cameroon. Air travel is wildly polluting.
Ken

Kenneth Harrow
Emeritus Professor of English, Michigan State University
Harrow@msu/edu

Harrow, Kenneth

Apr 8, 2024, 1:39:11 PMApr 8
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
The author of the article took a train, hoping to lessen the pollution. It was worse! But what about trains? I tracked down several estimates of carbon emissions per passenger-mile, including Amtrak’s official estimate. What I got back: My cross-country train journey had emitted somewhere from 950 to 1,133 pounds of carbon dioxide per passenger