ONE NEVER KNOWS‹MAKING THE 2023 ELECTIONS WORTH OUR WHILE

Michael Vickers

Nov 29, 2022, 7:55:52 PM11/29/22
to Ayo Olukotun, Richard A. Joseph, Adigun Agbaje, Adetoun Adetona, Ashobanjo, Abiodun Raufu, Adebayo Williams, David Atte, Adebayo Olukoshi, Emmanuel Remi Aiyede, Niyi Akinnaso, Margaret Ayansola, Oluwatobiloba Daniel ADEWUNMI, Idowu Olayinka, Toyin Falola, Prof Bayo Adekanye, Prof. W.O. Alli, Akinjide Osuntokun, Ayo Banjo, Dhikru Adewale Yagboyaju, Bolaji Akinyemi, Mr. Kolade Mosuro, Hafsat Abiola, Dr Wale Babalakin, Wale A.Olaitan, Adele Jinadu, Wale Adebanwi, Dr Akinwumi A. Adesina, Anthony Asiwaju, Prof. Ayo Dunmoye, Abubakar Rasheed, Ademiluyi Wole, Adebayo Salami, Emmanuel Adesola, Fola Arthur-Worrey, Femi Babatunde, Esther Oluwaseun Idowu, Banji Oyeyinka, Jide Owoeye, Bode Fasakin, Obadare Ebenezer Babatunde, Bankole Omotoso, Fabian Benjamin, Bunmi Makinwa, Olatunde Babawale, Biodun Jeyifo, Bolaji Ogunseye, Fallou Ngom, Stephen Bolaji, Bukky Dada, M. Insa Nolte, Prof Olufemi VAUGHAN, busayo...@gmail.com, boyoka...@gmail.com, Banji Oyeyinka, Bamitale Omole, Olufemi Bamiro, Adebayo Ninalowo, Tunde Bewaji, Cyril Obi, Chibuzo Nwoke, Christian Ogbondah, Sheriff Folarin, Charles Akinola, dijiaina@yahoo com, Cynthia Samuel-Olonjuwon, Christina Olaoluwa, Charles Ayo, abati1990@yahoo com, Orogun Olanike, Dialogue, Dr John Nnia Nwodo, Ganiyu Go, Larry Diamond, Delelayiwola, Koyekenya, Dr. Sharon Omotoso, Dr Yemi Dipeolu, Ebunoluwa Oduwole, Prof Eghosa E. OSAGHAE, Ekaette Umanah Ekong, Grace Edema, OluYinka Esan, Francis Egbokhare, eyitay...@yahoo.com, Femi_Osofisan Osofisan, Fred Goke, Femi Otubanjo, F&C Securities Limited, Folashade Soneye, Friday Okonofua, Fola Oyeyinka, Francis Onaiyekan, Anike-Ade Funke Treasure, Olayemi Foline Folorunsho, Dele Seteolu, Prof Ogunmola Ogunmola, Tunji Olaopa, Glory Ukwenga, Ola Jumoke, Royal Gardens, Prof. Hassan Saliu, Mohammed Haruna, Koyinsola Owoeye, Olukayode Somoye, Henry Lovejoy, Victor Isumonah, Kehinde Isinkaye, Lanre Idowu, Is-haq Oloyede, Jide Ibietan, Shadrach Ijagbemi, Ibiwumi Saliu, Aladeniji Theo, Isaac Albert, Jadesany, Jones O. Moody, Najim Jimoh, Attahiru Jega, Tunde Jaiyeoba, Kayode Soremekun, Mary Kolawole, OLAYODE OLUSOLA, AbdulRasheed Na'Allah, Mojúbàolú Olúfúnké Okome, Moshood Omotosho, Mayor Tope, Ngozi, Mazi Sam Ohuabunwa, Mni Femi Mimiko, Abiodun Salawu, Nduka Otiono, Gaf Oye, Stella Olukotun, Lai Oso, Lai Olurode, Oluwaniyi Osundare, Peter Ozo-Eson, Remi Sonaiya, adebajopr...@gmail.com, emo...@channelstv.com

On 24/11/2022, 11:30, "Ayo Olukotun" <ayo_ol...@yahoo.com> wrote:

MAKING THE 2023 ELECTIONS WORTH OUR WHILE

Ayo Olukotun

When was the last time you, as a Nigerian voter, rejoiced that the choices
you made at the last election led to the consequences that you were
expecting? In other words, were the expectations you had in voting for
candidate A, B or C, fulfilled or were they tremendously dashed? These
questions signpost the discussion in the current write-up as to whether the
much trumpeted forthcoming elections will be worth the while of voters. To
be sure, nowhere in the world are elections the magic cure for the woes of
countries. But sometimes, in some countries, very often, they lead to the
frequently talked about democratic dividends. However, when there is a
persistent disconnect between election outcomes and the performance of those
elected, that political community is shooting arrows at the heart of the
democratic assumption.

For the 2023 elections to deliver the people¹s expectations, at least in
good measure, some conditions must be fulfilled. This columnist speaks not
just about technique or what some experts call electoralism, which
translates into holding free, credible and fair elections; but beyond those,
to enquire what and what is necessary to make the elections worth our while