Poverty palaver: A case for town planning

1 view

Augustine Togonu-Bickersteth

Dec 4, 2022, 3:57:53 PM12/4/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Poverty Palaver: a case for urban and regional planning in  Nigeria

by Augustine Togonu- Bickersteth

I have just gone through an article in the guardian of london, tilted how town planning

  Can  eradicate poverty by Kate Henderson,,November 7 2013

 On reading the article on poverty and town planning my mind went immediately to the

Present face off or blame game  between the 36 governors and the federal government

I think this is not the time to talk finance in respect of multidimensional  poverty affecting 133 million  nigerians

It is perhaps   time to invite the town planners or the   urban and regional planner as they are called to dinner in the presidential villa or he 36  governors lodges

No matter how much money you throw out at a city or a town , it would not plan itself. Somebody has got to do the planning.

If you want to play a game of soccer you must first demarcate the pitch to know where to do what, like penalty, free kick, corner kick etc otherwise you are courting chaos.

Our cities and towns most of them are not planned and these may be the reason for the high incidence of poverty, disease, hunger, and squalor

Please can the town planners step forward and give us their own perspective about 133 million Nigerians in poverty. Thanks  in anticipation.